RIAA preamplifier for turnable Ziphona MA 224

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

What's the best RIAA preamplifier for turntable Ziphona MA 224?:confused:

Ziphona was the east german turntable maker. I used to service those many years back. There are some east german turntables worth keeping, but the MA-224 is really poor IMHO, most of them actually are. There are only a handfull of belt drive Tables that where international standard and the very last direct drive / linear tracking ones, but only the Top of the range, not the ones with plastic arms.

Check the cartridge, if it is the common east german MM pickup then use any MM Phono pre. If it is the Piezo Pickup then it needs a 1MOHm input impedance and is approximately equalised and line-level already.

The Piezo-Pickups have CS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them, the magnetic systems have MS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them.

Anything else, check the make/model of the cartridge.

EQ is determined by the LP, not cartridge or turntable.

Ciao T

CS 29

Hi,

Ziphona was the east german turntable maker. I used to service those many years back. There are some east german turntables worth keeping, but the MA-224 is really poor IMHO, most of them actually are. There are only a handfull of belt drive Tables that where international standard and the very last direct drive / linear tracking ones, but only the Top of the range, not the ones with plastic arms.

Check the cartridge, if it is the common east german MM pickup then use any MM Phono pre. If it is the Piezo Pickup then it needs a 1MOHm input impedance and is approximately equalised and line-level already.

The Piezo-Pickups have CS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them, the magnetic systems have MS-XX (where XX is some number) written on them.

Anything else, check the make/model of the cartridge.

EQ is determined by the LP, not cartridge or turntable.

Ciao T

On the speakers says:
RFT
Web nell DDR
CS 29

Hi,

On the speakers says:
RFT
Web nell DDR
CS 29

CS-29 is a ceramic cartridge, it was designed for 1MOhm input impedance and no equalisation or amplification. IIRC the output will be around 150mV or so..

This is an extremely low fidelity cartridge. The output will follow the LP Equalisation only very approximatly and have very large deviations from flat.

Back in my day we used to joke "RFT = Reicht Fünf Tage" (lasts 5 days before it breaks).

For the life of me I cannot imagine the path this record player must have taken to end up in El Salvador though.

Ciao T

Riaa pream for CS-29?

Hi ThorstenL !
What RIAA preamplifie for CS-29 to recommend?
I made ​​the RIAA preamp by this schematic, but in the secondary area (from 1 ... 3kHz) is the large distortion?
And this gives the preamplifier gain of about Au=60dB is too high.

thank you and cheers!

Attachments

• Schematic-1.jpg
    Schematic-1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Hi
Here are the photos the piezo-pickups CS-29, and photos turntables Ziphona MA=224.
Which schematic is required to exit?
Why Mr.ThorstenL turntables Ziphona MA-224 with this we need the RIAA preamplifier than usual amplifier with gain of Av= (8 .. 10)dB and the input impedance of 1Mohm?
Thank you and cheers!

Attachments

• CS-29.JPG
    CS-29.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Gramofon-prednja.JPG
    Gramofon-prednja.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Hi,

Which schematic is required to exit?

I know 1MOhm input buffer will work, because that is how they where used with the other east German Equipment.

Radio's, Amplifiers etc. all had inputs labelled "TA" for ceramic inputs that where 1MOhm, minimum capacitance.

The three resistor attenuators I do not know if they work well or not. But as you already have build a MM Riaa Pre, trying them would be easy. If it is still is not good, use the 1M input impedance buffer...

Ciao T

Preamplifier for Ziphona MA 224 (CS-29)

Hi all!:wave2:
I made this schematic saves preamp for piezo pickup CS-29 (Ziphona MA 224) and now everything is OK!:up:
Excellent turntable to an amplifier can be heard now and enjoy music Dire Streits!:eguitar::note:
Cheers!:cheers:

Attachments

• Ziphona MA 224.jpeg
    Ziphona MA 224.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Preamp for CS-29.JPG
    Preamp for CS-29.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Circuit for buffer for ceramic pickup

Hi all!
I want to can this ceramic pickup I create a buffer with mosfet BS170 or similar with the input resistance of 1Mohm that I see with this buffer to turntable sounds?
Power supply to be Ucc = 9...12V
So please give a proposals circuit (schematic).
thank you!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.