First timer - Altec Lansing 2.1 system hack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

I am a complete noob when it comes to circuits and amps, but really want recycle old systems and e waste into viable sound systems. This is my first project.

While I realise you guys are high end I thought you might be able to help guide me a little in how to overcome my problem.

I have an Altec Lansing V2421 2.1 amped speaker system that I have stripped to boards, wires and speakers and want to remount with a Rasberry-Pi as a small all in one media centre. The unit has four pieces, the sub and main amp, the two satellite speakers, and a remote. The remote has the input wire with a 3.5 jack, as well as an aux socket, mic and headphone outs, microphone, treble control and the volume. The sub/main board has the bass control, plus phono outs for the satellites and a component plug for the remote, containing standby,l,ground,r and 12v

I was given this by a friend who told me it had been left outdoors for a long period. the sub unit seemed well sealed but the remote could let water in easily. When connected up all the speakers work but at very low volume, even with the volume control turned up. I know I have the volume control to replace on the remote board, as the signal cuts out if you tap it wrong, and the push to make/push to break standby switch as well, so soldering will be in order.

All I need is a push in the right direction. I can find guides on how to test amps, but most don't contain the remote unit. I only have a multimeter to work with and would like to keep the headphone, treble, aux, volume and standby if possible, but I think these could all be done away with by scrapping the remote altogether.

Any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.