LM3886 Switching power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It pretty much is. It is also quite common that the fans are temperature-controlled.

The NE series is quite inexpensive because it has no power factor correction, the load and line regulation are a bit worse than in the more expensive models, guarantee time is shorter and the fan has no constant speed control but only on/off control. The S after NE means single rail output.

Thanks for all that info. :)

Yes, the multi-rail models have a COM terminal for GND.

Most of the multi-rail types are like computer power supplies with different voltages and/or currents per rail, e.g. 5 V and 12 V or 12 V 1 A and 12 V 0,5 A or 5V and 12 V and 24 V. Only few are dual supply with symmetric voltages and currents.

Something like an LM22679 would mate well with the LM3886. I've worked quite a bit with the LM2267x-series for my Universal Filament Regulator for tube amplifiers (see my website). In fact, I suspect the circuit board for my filament regulator would work quite well as a regulator board for chip amps. You'll just have to select slightly different components so you can get the higher output voltages.

The output ripple of the regulators when supplying full load (2.5 A in my case - 5 A for the LM22679) is on the order of 10 mV or less at the switching frequency (500 kHz). I have not noticed any adverse effects of this ripple in the amplifier circuits I've tried.

You'll still need a mains transformer, diode bridge, and reservoir caps. But you get a rock solid regulated supply. The output impedance of the regulator is on the order of 1~2 mOhm at audio frequencies.

~Tom

I did a 4 channel LM3886 amp with 2 meanwell SMPS (320W each), works perfectly.

Could you tell some more about your setup here please? Did you use any additional Power Caps? Do you think the power you chose was overdimensioned or right fitting? When you drive 4 with 320W (i guess at 24v) it should be possible to drive 2 with 160 W each i guess.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.