Lm4651

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do believe the inductor acts as a filter to remove any high-frequency from the switching on the OUTPUT (so no active xover here) and by doing so reconstructs the sine-wave. Not a wizz by any means on class-d amps, but I think you're going to need that inductor on the output.

YES, you do need the inductor for sure.

The output of a class-D amplifier is basically a square-wave. The LC-circuit on the output lowpass filter this into the "original" input signal, just amplified.
The output inductor on a audio calss-D amplifier is one of the more tricky parts to get right.
The inductor and capacitor togher with the load makes a lowpass filter, but since the load can change, the x-over freq. for your LC-filter also change. This means that you have to take different loads into the senario when you select the size of your inductor !!

Be also aware of the "RF-noise" a class-D amplifier can give. You should put the amplifier in some kind of metal-case.

Have fun

THomas

P.S. Check that everything works (squarewaves) before you mount the LM4652. I didn't first time around and it took me quite some time to get it going.

soundNERD

Always use double faced PCB.

My first attempt was on a breadboard and... my hi-fi started making some 'music'...
After that, in a pre-made PCB (those with holes and pads), the music was another: hot ans... puff!! :firefite: Some smoke...

So, I decided to make the double faced PCB that National has in the datasheet and... still work!

The high frequencies of the PWM are realy HIGH to use a single sided PCB.
If you check the DS (datasheet), the fsw goes up to 200khz.

Don't forget the output inductors!

You really need them!

Regards,

Pedro Martins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.