It begins... gainclones on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did not question the "keep in business" profit margin.
I just don't get why is it a problem if somebody using the common knowledge of the internet build and an amp for $ 500, and why OK if somebody using the common knowledge of the internet build and an amp for $1750.

GrahamnDodder said:
Yeah, until he gets a loose connection on a power rail that sends a few hundred DC mv's to his customers high-end speakers.

Remember, these things have no speaker protection. It is one thing to crank them out in a controlled manufacturing environment, but from an unknown builder on Ebay? If I am working without a net, I want to pack my own parachute. Or at least to know a company would be standing behind the work. My board version had an intermittent connection on V+ on a channel that would have fried my good speakers.

Maybe someone should e-mail him and ask how that amp would sound with their $50,000.00+ JMLab Grand Eutopia speakers....:bigeyes: :bawling:

I believe somebody already tested what happens, if one rail colapses on GC. Supposedly there is no danger in that:

analog_sa said:
TonyF

The compromises involved with a single supply are simply not worth it. As i am quite paranoid about DC (used to have Lowthers too) i've tested both the 1875 and 3875 with one rail missing. Yes, there is a substantial DC at output but once you load it the current protection kicks in and the output drops down to 0v. I haven't had a look on the scope, so don't really know how long it takes for the protection to work, but experimenting with a cheap car speaker did not result any injuries.

cowanrg said:
this is a very good point.

beauty, as well as value, is in the eye of the beholder. if he is an amateur (which, by looking at that "case" seems to be the, er, uh, case), he very well could have invested quite a bit of time into that project.

i think its funny that he's trying to sell it at such a high price only for the fact that if it were me, i would be relatively embarassed asking so much. i i had built it (regardless of time spent), i wouldnt ask much over $100 just because it doesnt look all that hot. this is really because my standards are much higher than his.

however, i think he is unjust in not fully disclosing the possible dangers of his amp. he should really come forward and say it like it is. also, he should have a lot more documentation. i didnt see how big the power supply was, etc. even to some consumers this would be important. the ad reads like he really doesnt know what he built, other than its the same thing as something else that sold for a lot more.

Personally, I don't think this is such a bad deal (providing he uses good parts and spent enough time on voicing the amp).

What I see strange about that setup is that there is only one DC output socket (on PS) and there are two sockets on the amp, wile cable clearly doesn't have a splitter. Also you can notice 3 pins for DC connection, which means that he's running common ground for both rails, which is not the best choice. Binding posts seem to be cheap Chinese variety. But chassis looks nice, although footing could be incorporated better. If this is milled out of solid aluminum block, you should know that it's worth at least $150 in materials and labour. So another $350 for the rest, isn't such a big rip off.

Re: Ebay....

tecnofossil said:
Yup, good old Ebay.

We pretty much have discontinued using EBay. This "piece" is an good lesson in "Buyer beware". But even if the unit on auction is from a legitimate manufacturer, you really can't be sure you are getting what the seller claims..... If you are the victim of a scam you can turn to Ebay right?

A little food for thought: http://www.msnbc.com/news/809148.asp

-T

Nobody screamed "scam", yet.
The amp probably performs well and it's well built, heck, my guess is that it sounds just like any other gainclone and/or gaincard built with some type of care and up to a certain standard.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
mikejz84 said:
Observation: The seller/builder could very well be a member of this very forum:scratch2:

By the strong reaction, I wouldn't bet against you.

JojoD818 said:
Maybe much of the cost went to the chassis. Plus some really hi end parts. :scratch:

JojoD

I think so too. You never know what length this guy / gal may have gone to perfect his gainclone? It could have been aged for years in a cold, dark, moisture-control'd cave in the Amazon, and I heard gainclones treated that way sound absolutely clear in the high-end, without being fragile.

Whatever that means, :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: Re: Ebay....

grataku said:
my guess is that it sounds just like any other gainclone and/or gaincard built with some type of care and up to a certain standard.

That's the moral of the story. Some people want to instill the notion that somehow if you use exotic (high-priced) parts, your gainclone will sound great.

The problem is that what parts to use depends on what forum you are, whom the speaker is, and the phase of the moon.

Gainclones are gainclones are gainclones, and they just sound like every other decent amp (if put together decently). the "mysteries" and the efforts to mystify gainclones do nothing but fuel commercialization of such a wonderful products.

And this latest auction is an epic example of that.

Not that commercialization is bad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Peter Daniel said:
What I see strange about that setup is that there is only one DC output socket (on PS) and there are two sockets on the amp, wile cable clearly doesn't have a splitter.

could it be that the other 3-pin socket is for power-out? That way, you can chain a few of those amps together without actually buying a new PS.

millwood said:

could it be that the other 3-pin socket is for power-out? That way, you can chain a few of those amps together without actually buying a new PS.

That would be quite interesting approach and understandable necessary cost reduction if the amp sells at $500. You save on cable length in that way;)

I would rather see it as a provision for a dual PS, if somebody wants to upgrade later. Of course some switching inside the amp would be required.

Curious and Curiouser

Well tis one ugly little sucker! I've built 3 Gain Clones with various differences, I sold the first 2 although for a bargain $300. I'll no doubt attempt to sell my current GC if the next version is better, I'm actually planning to build at least 3 more to try out various components ie Elna Silmics (yes I have found some) Blackgate NX in Super E configuration, Tantalum film Resistors and so on. My current GC are monoblocks with regulated supplies (well regulated capacitance multipliers I suppose). I don't think we should be so quick to condemn this guy (no its not me!).
As for E-Bay my chum got ripped off by a seller but E-Bay did Zilch! I'd never use them again. I prefer to sell to people I know and with a dem against whatever amp they use.

Mozfet:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.