Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2012, 12:56 PM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift187 View Post
With such a small VA transformer, there wouldn't be a lot of point going for too high a value, but I would go for at least 4700uF per rail.
I think the opposite.
When using a transformer that is a bit lower VA rating than normally recommended, I add extra smoothing capacitance to "beef up" the supply.
My intention here is to keep supplying transients and operating current from the smoothing, until the too small transformer has time to charge up the capacitors some time later when demand has dropped a bit.

The effect is that a low impedance of the smoothing is paralleled by the high impedance of the transformer.
Changing one can to some extent be compensated by moving the other in the opposite direction.

Last edited by AndrewT; 14th March 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 14th March 2012, 02:57 PM   #12
maurycy is offline maurycy  United States
diyAudio Member

I can get the 10,000uF and put one per rail.

Now from the scientific point of view, I have two Nichicon caps that I am looking at:

1. VZ series with ripple current of 2850mA, 105degC
2. FW series with ripple current of 4000mA, 85degC

Does the ripple current make a difference here? All other basic specs are the same though the FW series has longer load life which I assume is because of the lower max operating temperature.

Thanks.
Old 14th March 2012, 03:01 PM   #13
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I think the longer life is down to the lower losses inside the FW. Those lower losses are reflected in the specification value of Ripple capacity.
Old 14th March 2012, 03:22 PM   #14
maurycy is offline maurycy  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the explanation. I have also read that the life span is calculated based on the maximum operating temperature. That 20degC may play a difference here as well.
Old 15th March 2012, 03:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Life span is increased with higher max operating temperature. The farther you run a cap from the max temp, the longer it lasts.

Hide this!Advertise here!