What in the heck should I do with these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My trusty BK 200wpc amp blew up years ago. Salvaged:

- Mains transformer 625W (!!!) with 4 x 50VAC secondaries.
- Smoothing caps 4 x 17,000MFD 95v. (Do you think I carefully discharged these?)
- And a high quality huge enclosure with equally impressive heat sinks.

I was thinking a LM3875 chip amp with a ridiculously over spec'd mains transformer, but I think the 50VAC (unloaded) secondaries are too high.

I've never built a solid state power supply, but I would think this would give me a dual mono 2 x +70/-70v dc supply.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• BK1.jpg
    BK1.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 189
  • BK2.jpg
    BK2.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 185
Oh damn, just realized, 2 primaries for 120/240V.

So wire the primaries in series with 'merican volts and get 4x24V secondaries. (Secondaries measured 49.5V, so figure designed for 48V.)

Good for +/-30V rails.

Guess I'll head over to Pass Labs Forum

Thanks again!

yikes, didn't think about that. Think more in line that the iron could support the wattage in different configurations.

So, the original design was for the primaries to draw 2.6A each in parallel at 120V.

And secondaries are 4 x 48V at 3.25A = 625

So, it doesn't make sense to think with the primaries in series it will draw 5.2A and the primaries will deliver 24V at 6.5A each.

I have exacty one of those amps - donated by a friend after it died.

I have it wired up as a pass delite amp, although I'm about to build a LM3875 amp into it. Don't know if those heatsinks at the back would be good enough for an F5, but they'll come very close. If you build an F5 and trim back the bias a tiny bit I'd bet you'd be OK. .

Anything over 30V after rectification is too much for the LM3875/3886 chips. There are STK hybrid modules that will take higher voltages, but they are long out of production and only NOS stock exists.

You are correct you would end up with 70VDC symmetric supplies. That's a lot of juice. You're certainly talking about a discrete solid state amp with that sort of supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.