First project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About Me
BSEE 6 years ago since then PPT and Excel engineer
I know which and of the soldering Iron gets Hot I can read circuit diagrams I can figure out why each component is there it just takes a while

Mission Statement:
I have always loved good audio and as a way to get back into audio and sharpen my quickly dulling technical skills I want to build an Amp. It must be Useful to avoid WAF issues. Budget is not extremely tight as this will keep me from bugging my wife so she will leave me alone about the $$

About the project:
Goals
1)Runs either a pair of 2 Way 6.5" driver 8ohm ported speakers currently driven as R/L by a 10 year old 80x2 denon Amp

2)Run a Pair of dipole 12 ohm speakers that used to be rear channels for previously mentioned Amp

3)Include the "Apple Universal Dock" as my PreAmp and Source which includes:
A) Audio Outputs This would be my only source bring audio outputs directly into Chip RLC circuit
B) Power in This would be taped into the Power of the Amp (Pre ampr transformer)
C) IR reciever and 19 pin connector which would both need to be exposed to outside of project Box (to limit me having to put my beverage of choice down to adjust the volume

Secondary Goals listed in order of desire these can be removed (modified)based on advice from more experienced DIYers as to weather these are too difficult for a first time audio amp builder
)
1) I would like the amp to be roughly the size of a shoe box so it can go to the camp fire with me

2) I would like to add a variable Attinuation knob as low volume highley amplified signals tend to hurt my ears

3) I would like to include a non amplified variable low pass X over so a sub can be added if in the future this becomes less portable

4)Huge stretch I have some older (circa 85) inefficient (4 Ohm)speakers that I love the sound of, duel 7.5-8inch woofers ported (to be honest I don't even know how many parallel chip amps it would take to push these

Based on his Web Site and the Huge amount of Help he has been on this site I am planning on using Audio Sector for whatever I can

Questions to all the experienced DIYers out there
1) Which if any of these are attainable by someone like ME
2) I think I am going to use the LM4780 I am not sure if one of these will drive both of the 6.5 inch speakers or if I will need to use two thus creating 2 discrete amp channels each with an LM4780 wired in parallel
3) I need to choose a transformer If I go with the parallel design I would like the Output Voltage to be adjustable (to accomidate the 4 Ohm stretch target speakers) if not a single voltage is fine any suggestions?
4) how do I determine how much distance I need or how can I best insulate/Isolate my transformer from my amp circuitry I am layingout my boards/ looking at enclosures

Finally if there seems to be any interest in this I will start A blog here and try to add pictures as I go. I can't promise speed as I am currently working a ton of hours

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.