So how much does a Gainclone cost to build anyway?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am most of the way through building a gainclone. I was stuck the other night as I didn't yet have a case or cases. I found an old ATX power supply from an old PC and gutted it. The 300VA transformer fits neatly in there and it already has an IEC socket and switch built in. It has a grommet out the back for the cables and I plan to hard wire the amps.
All I need now is a second one for the amps, although I may build them into my CD player as it has lots of space. I just have to be careful of heat buildup.
So, all I have in my power supply is the transformer and two bridges. The caps are on the amps. Do fancier psu's have more gear in them?

humm, Peter

I am from Belgium, living in the US and have a little bit of experience in wholesale/retail bizz in general.

I have to let you, and others who want to read this, know that gross profit margins are, in general, in the USA, enormous!
A product made, in some country far away from you bedpost, for let's say 50 bucks usually ends up in a US store for about $300.00
It depends on the productline but even food items(produced in the USA) can differ enormously and have an enormous mark up margin. One example is the breakfast oatmeal aisle in the supermarket... from production to retail pricing is easily 300 pct.

It is not abnormal that Levinson and other ;exotic products run into the the 1K's or 10K's They sell a few pieces a month, have a overhead that needs to be paid EVERY month (good or bad sales) etc etc... I think some bizzpeople in the high end audio industry would only have one advice for you: do not ruin our and your bizz by selling high end for Wall Mart prices.

I think your idea of selling hjgh end gear is to be supported, but are you going to put/pay for (are you capable by selling with a low mark-up) expensive adds in end users magazines (maybe in order to get excellent reviews) ??????

I leave this up to you!

And I truly prefer buying from you for a reasonable price!

Jean-Pierre

one more example

maybe not so nice but still something to think about....

most cheap watches being sold in the world are being sold/bought based on the weight and not so much per piece!

I dealt with capacitors, and other components where the transportation costs were about the only factor decisive to price making!

J-P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.