Heat sinks for LM3875TF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am hoping for some advice and help

I have a pair of gainclone dual mono amplifiers, with a separate power pack

Each mono has its own case, approx 17 x 10 x 5 cm, of metal construction

I have noticed after extended use the case gets relatively warm

I was thinking of sound deadening each case, which could make heat dispersal worse (?)

Should I be thinking of fitting heat sinks to each LM3875TF ?

If so, how do I go about selecting a heat sink and is it just a case of selecting my desired heat sink and using the thermal adhesive tape supplied ?

Here is hoping for some help :)

So, you don't have heatsinks yet, but your amp works without trouble? That means you only need a small heatsink, because you obviously use an easy load as speakers at moderate volume and with low supply voltage.

If your case is all metal, it may be sufficient to connect the IC thermally to it by means of thermal grease a screw and maybe some additional piece of metal, if the IC is to far away from the cases superfices. The fact that the case becomes hot even now, shows that it is a good heat conductor.

If you want to add a heatsink, it makes sense to calculate its size, not guess at it.

PB, that's just what I was going to say, though you beat me to it by 6 hours.

Even if the case is not that sturdy put a heatsink on the other side, on the outside of the case as well. Do make sure the chip is completely electrically isolated - as you case will be at Earth potential (I hope) and the back of the chip is not. You won't need a mica insulator if it's the TF chip, but it is worthwhile having the proper plastic washer for the screw else you could go through the coating.

I have to say that I'm impressed that your chip has stood up so well so far. You probably should tell National!

I like the idea of those pentium II heatsinks - and get the processor thrown in for free!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.