Subwoofer amp suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a subwoofer using a 10-inch 4-ohm Lightning Audio P1.10.4. I have tried the LM3886, and it works, but not too much until it floods the speaker with distortion. The LM4766 in bridged mode, cant drive 4-ohm so I had to use 2 of the 10-inch speakers in series, also, it never worked right, first the chip burnt up, so I put a new chip on, and it burn't me! Also, it overheats and shuts off into a small 8-ohm bookshelf speaker. I would like to stay away from Class D, and although they work great for subs, they are just way to complicated. I like the idea of a mosfet, though, and found the Mosfet Power Follower (search google). It uses a IRF350 and TIP141 and looks very simple. But, it is only a 17W into 8-ohm. Yes, it will do probably 35W into 4-ohm, but 35W isn't much. Also, I can't find the IRF350 anywhere.

What about the 3886 in bridged mode driving 2 speakers?

Any suggestions of simple amps that I could get free samples of the chips would be appreciated

-Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.