Can I change receiver output to preamp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2003, 04:00 AM   #1
sounder is offline sounder  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Can I change receiver output to preamp?

I feed my CD player directly into my IGC but would like to use the tuner in my reciever and the video inputs. My GC has a source selection switch.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about reducing an amps output by placing high wattage resistors in line. I currently have the CDR out connected to the GC but it bypasses any remote volume adjustment; I have no pre-out. Also, what type of signal would I expect from a Yamaha amp feeding a GC. Seems like two steps forward, three steps back. Maybe there is something simple I can build...or can I tie into the Yamaha's preamp stage and make pre-out connections?

As midnight approaches, I start to entertain wilder ideas.
Old 27th September 2003, 04:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You should really try to tap the signal before the amp so as not to "taint" the sound...there should be one going before the power amp...perhaps on the selector switch or somewhere...can you give us a schematic...some high-end recievers have a little block behind that can be use to seperate the preamp from the amp...from there you can tap the signal...
Old 27th September 2003, 06:33 AM   #3
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

You are talking about padding the speaker level outputs down to line level, if I understand correctly. That's pretty drastic. A signal gets amplified by the reciever and next it gets attenuated back down to line level. I guess that's ok so long as the CD doesn't take this route. Most broadcast signals are poor enough that it may not matter. In general, I would expect that anything you routs to the GC via the speaker ouputs will sound worse than if you just stayed with the reciever.

How about making a switch box using a pair of 10Adc rated DPDT switches to select receiver vs. GC as the source for your speakers?
Old 27th September 2003, 08:26 AM   #4
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Does your Yamaha have one (or even two) tape-outs.
You can always use those which I for example still do.
Then the Yamaha would be the source control and you link it via tape to the GC.
CD can still directly go to your GC.
Maybe you consider this also a step back but its definitely better than using the speaker outputs for line signal.

Cheers
Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!