Bought a XY LM3886 Kit. - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2013, 10:26 PM   #411
diyAudio Member

I often wonder why speakers are never included in the equation by you modders?
I have purchased several different assembled boards and connected them to a collection of non diy speakers ranging from small cheap to large and expensive.
All the amplifiers sound mediocre on Radio Shack full rangers and wonderful on large Tannoys. I cannot hear the difference between a tpa3123, tda7297, tda7294
I think I prefer the 7297, perhaps it's because the PS requirements are modest and I'm just amazed by the sound that comes from so few components.
Old 20th June 2013, 02:11 AM   #412
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
I often wonder why speakers are never included in the equation by you modders?
I have purchased several different assembled boards and connected them to a collection of non diy speakers ranging from small cheap to large and expensive.
All the amplifiers sound mediocre on Radio Shack full rangers and wonderful on large Tannoys. I cannot hear the difference between a tpa3123, tda7297, tda7294
I think I prefer the 7297, perhaps it's because the PS requirements are modest and I'm just amazed by the sound that comes from so few components.
My theory is..

(1) there's likely a big difference in sound with any amp between the RS's and Tannoys. You probably have a little 'expectation bias' built-in. I think a great pair of speakers will always reveal an amp's and source shortcomings. I've also found the type/genre and recording of music will make a setup sound good or bad - depending.

(2) when you're modding and trying to determine what makes the most sonic impact on the sound you should probably keep your source constant, as well as your speakers. Rule #1 of scientific observation. That said, I'm not sure how much scientific observation goes on with DIY'ers. It's just too subjective of a process. Our 'expectation bias' is hard to ignore.

(3) although my ears are getting older... I have a hard time telling any difference with many of these small, monolithic based chip-amps too. I think they all generally sound pretty good for the low price point they represent. I just don't think their specs are that far off from each other, but alas I don't have the equipment to measure any of them either.

My current sweet spot a little farther up the amp module food chain, is the class D IRS2092 by LJM. To my ears - and using relatively very inexpensive speakers - these are very musical sounding amps. I love the emphasis on vocals and mids and the timbre of the highs. With a good, well-adjusted sub in the mix I'm sure the sound would be even more pleasing. I'm waiting on a another 2092 module from Cristi to explore any 'noticeable' sonic differences between the two.

Rick
Old 20th June 2013, 08:49 PM   #413
sereal is offline sereal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jumping a bit more on track... What is a good pot value for the 3886? (specific on this board since it's what I have) I bought a 10k one since the data sheet seemed to indicate that was the best value but it really didn't offer much choice in volume, it was either loud or kinda loud.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:52 PM   #414
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are you sure you have your pot wired correctly ?? your volume should vary between silent and full blast ..... When your volume knob is at it"s lowest setting the signal gets shorted to ground so it should be totally silent so if the Volume is either "Loud or kinda loud" then it points to an incorrectly wired pot ....
Old 20th June 2013, 11:12 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
Are you sure you have your pot wired correctly ?? your volume should vary between silent and full blast ..... When your volume knob is at it"s lowest setting the signal gets shorted to ground so it should be totally silent so if the Volume is either "Loud or kinda loud" then it points to an incorrectly wired pot ....
So 10k should be fine?

(it should be wired correctly - I used a pcb but maybe that is junk)

I'm a bit confused here though - when the pot is at 10k that should be the lowest volume, and when it's at 0ohms that should be the loudest volume right?

The pot is a alps blue... this one 10K, Blue Velvet - STEREO
Old 20th June 2013, 11:20 PM   #416
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

That pot is a fine pot , much better quality than anything I would ever buy and 10k is a good value to use .....

I bought several of those XY LM3886 boards off of ebay quite a while ago , They were only $2.50 each so I bought a few and am using a 10k pot with them and they work fine and as a volume knob should ....
Old 20th June 2013, 11:49 PM   #417
diyAudio Member

where did you wire it up? I did it form the signal in.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:51 PM   #418
diyAudio Member

hah and yeah, at this point I don't even care about money, I have blown my budget a few times over. I just want to get this right and then i'll think about building another one at a better cost.
Old 20th June 2013, 11:53 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

The signal in should go to the right hand pot pin.
The output goes from the pot middle pin.
Ground in and out goes to the left hand pot pin.
Old 6th May 2014, 02:54 PM   #420
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone, I'm back on this usefull topic beacuse I've just bought a pair of XY poweamp boards.

I would like to ask if would be possible to bridge XY boards...

I'm looking to build a mono guitar amplifier for 8 ohm speakers, is it possible with those boards?

thank you in advance... and sorry for my "dirty" english"

Hide this!Advertise here!