Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 09:15 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguilabrava View Post
Hi Lanchile:

Yes, the whole thing looks like a mess, I knew that as soon as I'd post the pictures I was going to get a lot of criticism, I am ready for it...

Now, the amazing thing is that even though the cables are a complete mess, I didn't have any hum or noises of any kind. I introduced hum last night when I added the two pieces of aluminum foil to the gaps between the heatsinks and the sheet holding the switch and volume pot.

All this issues will be addressed when I put this thing in a enclosure, but I need you guys help in the meanwhile. Can you please tell me where the ground loops are?. Can you please tell me if soldering ground cables to the heatsinks will get rid of the hum I have now that I didn't have before?.

Thank you, Lanchile.
Remove the aluminum foil and see if you still have the noise! Please post pictures to see it better how you have it now. I would not use aluminum foil inside amp, because it can get loose and fall on boards and make some trouble with all those live voltages.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:23 PM   #222
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default My amplifier

Hi Aguilabrava ,

This is how I planned to build my amp. All parts are finished except for the amplifier boards. I need to add some parts of the Thiele network and also a 220 nf capacitor. It is fully remote controlled, but can also be manually controlled. There are going to be 4 inputs. It has a speaker protection against DC current. This protection board also has a switch-on delay to prevent pops and clicks when powering up the system. In the back (left side) you can see the inductors I made myself, just like peranders advised me (post #177). I'm not able to measure the inductance because I have no equipment for this, but I think they will do just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY LM3886.jpg (703.5 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg DIY LM3886_2.jpg (748.0 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg DIY LM3886_3.jpg (602.9 KB, 340 views)
Old 13th April 2012, 04:11 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker connections

As I mentioned in my last post I'm going to use a speaker protection kit. According to the manual of this kit the speakers should be wired as in the image. Should I place the second part of the thiele Network (the parallel RL circuit). In front of the speaker protection board or after it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speaker connections.jpg (64.4 KB, 310 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 10:34 AM   #224
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The R//L can go before the spkr prot, or after the spkr prot. Both work equally well.

The Zobel half if fitted before spkr prot must go as close to the output pins and chip decoupling as possible.

If you fit the Zobel after the R//L, then the Zobel is directly across the Amplifier's spkr output terminals.
Old 14th April 2012, 12:26 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

It is preferable to place both circuits on the amp side of the relay. That way their protective function remains in place even if the relay cuts the signal to the speakers. Oscillation or RF interference may not bother you when the speaker is disconneceted, but that is no reason to subject the amp to either.

You also avoid discharging or recharging the snubber capacitor each time the relay changes state. Voltage and current involved are small, but so is the capacitor and there is no need to age it faster than necessary.

Normally at least the snubber will be on the amp board and the protection circuit will be on a different board, so that issue usually solves itself.

If you fit the snubber behind the R//L circuit, you go from a 1st order to a 2nd order low pass with a highish Q that may just lead to the oscillation the snubber is there to avoid among other things.

It is important to understand that the RC circuit is not a Zobel network, i.e. it is not an impedance correction. The capacitor value is far to small for that. It is an RF snubber. It should be close to the amp, not close to the speaker.
Old 14th April 2012, 12:33 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

The Thiele Network is in two forms.

Form1:
R+C across the amplifier output and R//L on the route to the speaker terminals.

Form2:
R//L on the route to the speaker terminals and the R+C across the speaker terminals.

Both these versions work. That is the way Thiele designed it.

Cherry followed up with a short paper explaining that there are an infinite number of intermediate versions that span from the two limiting forms that Thiele proposed.

I have posted the spreadsheet to allow the two Thiele forms to be calculated and for all the intermediate Cherry versions to be calculated.
Old 14th April 2012, 01:55 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

This is how I made it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIYAudio.jpg (447.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 14th April 2012, 05:44 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Both these versions work.
Yes, but with different values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I have posted the spreadsheet
Nice. Where?
Old 15th April 2012, 09:29 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

When an output inductor is needed???
Download the zip file. It is simply a compressed Excel XLS file.

Last edited by AndrewT; 15th April 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 28th April 2012, 01:15 AM   #230
Pemo is offline Pemo  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default Is this Zobel?

Hi guys, this is PEMO again.

I found this new board, similar to the ones we bought before. I can see some differences in it. One of course is a Zobel. And the other is an input filter.

By viewing these photos can you confirm this?

Thanks again, PEMO.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0054-1.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!