New LM4702 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keep the Safety Earth (the PE connection to Chassis) separate from the MAG.
They do completely different jobs and are not required to be coincident.
There may be a small advantage to keeping well spaced apart.

If you decide to add a Disconnecting Network (the inverse parallel Power diode link from MAG to Chassis) then they MUST be separate.

I understand the safety issue of the PE wire getting 'accidentally' disconnected. However, what are the odds and real chance of that ever happening in a typical home audio environment? I mean really. :eek: At some point, the cover will go on and it will sit on my cabinet for years to come in a stress-free place where nothing is going to shake or work free.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to minimize the importance of the safety element of DIYing. But at some point we can overkill our projects.

In retrospect, I should have secured that wire with it's own nut. That would have made it doubly secure and prevented it from being accidentally removed. However, I did heed Andrews advice and used a much shorter lead and secured it to the back panel. But now I don't have much of a star grounding strategy anymore and the amp is super quiet.

Your MAG looks very "star like" !
Not now it doesn't. That was an earlier image but since then some needed mods were in order in reduce some hum I was experiencing. A couple of those green wires have been removed. As I mentioned earlier, based on your observation, I moved the PE wire to the rear panel. The amp seems to be very, very quiet now. It was a combination of other input wiring that I changed and the grounding rework that led to the improvements in hum reduction.

I'm about ready to power up my LM4702 board and would rather do it without connecting the board outputs to my output transistors first. If I have a workmanship error, I'd rather not smoke my FETs. Does anyone know if the LM4702 is OK with power applied but no load ?

Thanks!
Frank

I'm about ready to power up my LM4702 board and would rather do it without connecting the board outputs to my output transistors first. If I have a workmanship error, I'd rather not smoke my FETs. Does anyone know if the LM4702 is OK with power applied but no load ?

Thanks!
Frank

Take a look at the Test Circuit on page 10 of the datasheet and see if that answers your question.

Nice build, I know a long time has passed but I’m wondering how it performed over the years?
I have 3 identical modules that I’ll like to use and I really like your build, wondering if you are still in contact with that eBay seller or another reliable source to get the rest of the parts needed.

Thanks!

Hello

Hi Alex,

Yes it has been a long time. I used that amp for a couple of years and it served me well. Then of course I had the itch to build something different, and something more different and bigger...etc. You get the picture. It never ends. And now that I'm retired, it really never ends! :)

Yes, that eBay seller is still around, with a much expanded catalog of audio goodies. I still use him from time to time. I don't know if he still stocks that particular board anymore, but you could check his store.

Just a heads up if you order from him... Many of the vendors have been slowed way down due to Covid. Depending upon the mail service of choice, allow 2-4 extra weeks before delivery. Things are moving very slow out of China and other Southeast Asia countries.

Good luck with your builds.

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.