My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dario, I have other DIYer version of MyRef. When increase the volume to more than 70% its clipping. I am having 6400uF pannasonic caps. Using 10k DACT attenuator as volume pot. Using 6ohm Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. Do you have any idea why its clipping? Have you faced problem like this? Is clipping is normal? Has anyone faced this kind of problem? Sorry to post this kind of noob problems here in FE beta build. I am just a beginner learning things.

Thanks
Badri

What is the voltage of your tranformers?

With 6 Ohm speakers and the My_Ref it's wiser to use 22-24V secondaries to avoid clipping.

Also 6400uF smoothing caps are way too low.

612Monfig1.jpg

For the same reason the GND shall only be connected at one single point -- solder the four lugs of the RCA's together, the RCA barrels will provide the contact to the box.

attachment.php

It's all about keeping sending and receiving loop areas as small as possible.:hypno2:

Thanks Mr K. That is very clear. I'll be building one soon.

Well, what some people won't do while waiting for RC boards :rolleyes:

2" x 2" x 1/8" leftover angle from hardware store.

Pot01.jpg Pot1.jpg Pot2.jpg Pot3.jpg

Pre-building.
Pot3a.jpg

THE SECRET SAUCE (maybe snake oil) used as both glue and conductive filler. A line painted on paper doesn't indicate continuity but does read 1k resistance :scratch:

ThinkGeek :: "Wire Glue" Conductive Glue

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Needle nose pliers and thin tips are a blessing.

Pot4.jpg Pot5.jpg Pot6.jpg

Sides have lip cut on router table with carbide bit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Closed up with 6-32 rod and fancy nuts.
Pot7.jpg Pot8.jpg

If I did it again I would use RCAs with hex on both sides. Note marks from pliers.

Well, You know what is said about idle minds. :devilr:

Russioan options for C13 cap

Another great cap for builders on a budget is the russian polystirene K71-4(film/foil).

Not as good as the Audyns but incredibly good for the price.

They're quite big though, they will not fit perfectly on board.

After reading this i'be bought K71-4 and i also bought some K40Y-9 caps. Tested both and for my ears K40Y-9 sounds much more musical. I would say polystirenes are much more analithical and a bit boring compared to PIO.
Just a feedback from my own experience.

Dario between Amtrans and the other NOS ROE/Vishay that you sold as a 4.5EU package what would you choose ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.