My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice work, though, you need someone to hold the tweezers for you to prevent the resistor moving, hence, you have better control on the soldering process, in other words, the amount of solder. You cave me a push toward trying that by myself.

Thanks for the video :- )

Last edited:
Here's my little down and dirty production showing the simplicity of the process.

https://www.box.com/s/696f9e6ddd503832495c

This one is a little plump, but will work just fine. Some solder wick painted with flux works great to remove any extra solder.

Nice video, Bob :cool:

Only a suggestion wet (much) less the point, it will avoid that excess of solder.

A good smd solder joint should have only a tiny amount of solder.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Interesting link with lots of pics of excessive solder:

http://www.technolab.de/_en/solderdict/smdhmd/excessivesolder.php

Last edited:
Here's some of that screwy numbering. Parts Conexxion listings (item numbers) don't directly reflect values. Hope I got it right.

Attachments

• Amtrans.jpg
    Amtrans.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 303
Not screwy numbering.

The first two digits are the value to two sig fig.

The third digit is the multplier.
0= add nothing to the first two.
1= add one zero after the two digits, = multiply by 10,
2 = add two zeros after the two digits, = mutliply by 100,
3= three zeros,
5 = five zeros.

The J = tolerance. = 10%

Last edited:
Well that's just fine - With all the long leads I can't play any music, but I can get 12 FM radio stations. :mad:

No, actually they sound very good. More clarity, some of the forwardness of the last configuration is lessened. Most noticeable is the reduction of sibilance on the vocal from the test mix.

I'll start the Isotek process and report back in about an hour.

Attachments

• AM01.jpg
    AM01.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 299
  • AM02.jpg
    AM02.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 293
Like the song says "You don't know what you got till is't gone".

I don't know if there is something called a "Mid and High noise floor", but if there is these Amtrans caps remove it. After the Isotek I discovered, as good as the FEs were performing, there were elements that could have led to listening fatigue. That sounds like coming in through the back door, but that's the impression I'm getting.

Again, there is a whole new quality to the presentation that will take some time to appreciate. A one word description would have to be "purity". The cleanliness IMHO, does pull back the warmth (what Dario calls coloration, I believe) just a tad with my speakers, but I think it's a good trade off. I also have a pot on the midrange section of the Sunflower crossovers and can probably pull it back in with some adjustments.

The "In the room" presence is excellent. The finale to Copland's Organ Symphony is very complex with a cathedral pipe organ and an augmented orchestra. It sounds glorious. Snare drum rolls come through the blasting brass and the floor shakes on the pedal notes. The front to back stage is one of those things I'll have to investigate further - it might be a bit slimmer but not by much. The general 3D ambiance is totally room filling.

Don't know who gets the attribution, but whoever found these gems gets a double gold star. At $2.50 ea, the Amtrans are almost a no-brainer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.