My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2012, 03:25 PM   #341
squalor is offline squalor  United States
diyAudio Member

and I suppose I would use a relay between the DC converter and the battery for remote turn on ? hooked to the head unit's remote turn on wire ?
I bought some Adire Extremis from CSS years ago for this car. The rare 6.4 4ohm drivers have been sitting in their box, never mounted. Figured I would power them with a big tripath chipamp and use the electronic Xover.
But hey, all this is off-topic to this thread. Lets get back to the FE builds.
Old 1st May 2012, 03:41 PM   #342
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

IsoTek Rejuvenation CD just arrived. FGs will be here this afternoon and the True Copper caps shipped from heaven just yesterday. I'm going to listen to 2 or 3 pieces to establish a baseline, then run the burn-ins on the FEs. I'll report back later this evening.
Old 1st May 2012, 09:54 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

My Isotek report.

I know why Dario likes this CD - It sounds like the soundtrack to a Dune movie.

There is truly a noticeable improvement in the clarity of the sound. It's a different change than I expected - like that "lifting the veil" analogy that's often used. I've been listening for about an hour an a half and not found anything that doesn't sound cleaner if the recording quality is there to begin with. Dynamics and punch, I think, are better but that's hard to tell or define when the overall clarity changes at the same time. Been looking for the high register "fuzz" I mentioned earlier and I think it has been tamed if not eliminated.

The signal passes from a computer through a DAC, the FE amps and then a fairly sophisticated crossover to get to the drivers in the speakers. That's a whole pile of caps, coils, resistors and do-dads, so there is no possible way one could even guess what adjusted the most.

Something I really didn't expect was learning that my system is not balanced. There is a spot on the CD that sounds like a rapid paddle-ball (you remember that rubber ball, rubber band and wooden paddle toy) that is clearly louder on the left side. I'm going to do a bunch of swapping to find the problem, but I'm hoping/suspecting it might be a corroded pot on the Lexicon box I'm using till I get the Mini2496 DAC back online. I'll try the PS1 CD player with a naked pot also.

I'll be able to better hear the results of the Isotek process in the next few days, as I'll just be plugging in the V1.3s in the integrated build, the BrianGTs and a pair of vanilla V1.2 amps. The rest of the stream should be stable. Also the FG caps and several Caddock resistors will go into the FEs, so I'll re-burn that system then.

So far - the CD seems to be a worthwhile investment.

More To Come ..................
Old 1st May 2012, 10:40 PM   #344
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
I know why Dario likes this CD - It sounds like the soundtrack to a Dune movie.
You don't give justice to Toto and Brian Eno...

Quote:
There is truly a noticeable improvement in the clarity of the sound.
I've been listening for about an hour an a half and not found anything that doesn't sound cleaner if the recording quality is there to begin with. Dynamics and punch, I think, are better but that's hard to tell or define when the overall clarity changes at the same time. Been looking for the high register "fuzz" I mentioned earlier and I think it has been tamed if not eliminated.
I do agree.

The more evident change, IMHO, is bass firmness.

More subtle but real is the 'cleaning' effect, the naturalness of sound.

Quote:
Something I really didn't expect was learning that my system is not balanced..
I've had the same impression on my system (which I don't know if it's perfectly balanced) maybe the CD is made that way.

Quote:
So far - the CD seems to be a worthwhile investment.
So, it's not snake oil?
Old 1st May 2012, 10:50 PM   #345
diyAudio Member

Yes the bass and the lower mids are both cleaner. I'll be able to sense things better with more plays. I'm sure it will show up more with brand new caps.

Well, we are at least up to high grade Virgin Olive Oil - but I'll know more later.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:17 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

Got pretty dramatic results today with the Isotek Rejuvenation CD on Siva's V1.3 amps. These have the LFO1, Sonicaps at C13, Black Gates at C9 and everything else included in Siva's premium package. Also in the box are a JC-2 pre that's controlled by Uriah's Lighter Note.

I only needed one record to hear the difference. I selected this CD because it still sounded muffled when played on the FEs earlier this morning. So I wanted to see what would happen when I did the burn-in on the integrated build. This CD is a gorgeous A-Capella offering where all the supporting instrumental sounds are vocally produced. The female voices are as pure and wide ranging as any I've heard. They can mimic a clarinet’s top notes with uncanny similarity.

Amazon.com: Mood Swings: Swingle Singers: Music

A very clean, detailed and coherent image was produced immediately after the process. What really caught my attention was the increased room ambience and studio introduced reverb. There was no trace of screech or fuzziness on any of the voices. I think it is due to the nature of my speaker and how they have been pre-stressed by the music I play, but I'm not hearing as much low end differences as Dario. Most certainly, there is an improvement in everything from the mids down, but I hear it as definition/solidity more than boost.

The tweeters just plain sound more pleasant and musical. I can't find any of the occasional ear fatiguing nature of the MyRef/LM3886 family. I'm understanding that this Isotek process is one that doesn't knock you over - but after a day or so - there is a warm glow in the room.

Very nice and indeed useful - Dario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS Plc1a.jpg (233.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 3rd May 2012, 04:07 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Bob, thanks for the update. After reading about it, I'm tempted to build a pair of V1.4s with the best and tightly-matched premium parts I have with me, but I think I'll wait for the first Evo2/X2 PCBs to show up, where there's a bit more space for boutique parts at some locations.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:28 AM   #348
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Got pretty dramatic results today with the Isotek Rejuvenation CD on Siva's V1.3 amps.

Quote:
I only needed one record to hear the difference. I selected this CD because it still sounded muffled when played on the FEs earlier this morning.
Can you elaborate?

It seems you're saying that Siva's 1.3 modules with LF01 sound better than the FE, it's so?

Quote:
I think it is due to the nature of my speaker and how they have been pre-stressed by the music I play, but I'm not hearing as much low end differences as Dario. Most certainly, there is an improvement in everything from the mids down, but I hear it as definition/solidity more than boost.
Maybe I've expressed myself incorrectly.

I never talked about bass bost, bass became rock solid and controlled, to the point it seems a bit less...

Quote:
Very nice and indeed useful - Dario.
You're welcome
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:04 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

"Can you elaborate?"

That was the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning. I was listening to several pieces on the FEs in a search for just one that would serve as a base. The Swingle Singers was "muffled" compared to the others I heard and had a less complicated instrumentation while also containing a wide range of high and low notes.

I then listened to it on the V1.3s to both tune my ears and get to full warm-up ~30 min. My description dealt with the differences heard before and after the Isotek process - not between the FE and the integrated build.

In my view, the most difficult part of doing any of these comparisons is establishing a valid "audio memory". As little as 30 minutes can diminish ones perception. Also, keep in mind that we have been dealing with decreasing amounts of change/improvement over the past 8 - 10 months. I think we are polishing - not sculpting at this point.

P.S. Beta Testers 2,3,4,5 ..... HELP !!! Dario is trying to bust my chops

I haven't installed the FG caps or the new Caddocks on the FE amps yet (Hey - sometimes procrastination pays off) so I will try a direct comparison between the FEs and the V1.3s later today. Both will have had three passes of the second track on the Isotek CD. [#1 Small Systems 30 min, #2 Large Systems w/Sub 30min, #3 Quick Touch-up]

In any event, even though I don't own the equipment to verify, it's a good feeling to know/believe that the burn-in variable has been reduced and/or eliminated.

Dario, I think we are hearing the same thing from the low end changes. There just may be a small change in "flavor" due to differing speaker designs.

P.S. BETA TESTERS 3.4.5.6.... Help !! Dario is trying to bust my chops.

Last edited by bcmbob; 3rd May 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:21 PM   #350
squalor is offline squalor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
P.S. BETA TESTERS 3.4.5.6.... Help !! Dario is trying to bust my chops
I've hit a snag. I forgot to order hardware to attach the heat sink to R3. I desoldered some fancy aluminum heat sinks from a dead RCA but the screw is too big and theres not enough room. I pulled the nut & screw from the HS on my dead Kookaburra and they don't fit either. I think Dario said it was a 3mm but I'm still looking thru my piles to find something on-hand that will work.
So there's my excu...... reason. Next beta tester ?

Hide this!Advertise here!