Surround Sound from scratch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for building my own surround sound amplifier from scratch? I have always wanted to give it a go. It would be nice to keep it around 150$ if at all possible. Not sure where to start. I would like it to be low power and portable. thanks...

$150 I think might be pushing it especially for home built equipment. However, I (we) don't know your exact requirements.

By surround sound, do you mean: 2 speakers reproducing left channel, 2 speakers reproducing right channel. One center channel with perhaps one left and one right speaker? And a subwoofer? Or do you require true surround sound with Dolby stuff etc?

I wouldn't use very high powered chip amps because you won't be able to get a transformer to power it that will be cheap enough for your budget.

You may want to look at LM1875 and or find some boards for them. For the subwoofer, if you want one, you might want to try a LM4780 paralleled like I did. Jims Audio makes a decent one. You'll also need an active crossover for the sub. I got one off eBay also.

I'd make one big power supply for all of them. You're going to need a lot of capacitance. If I had to guess, I'd say atleast 20,000uF for each rail, so around 40k uF total. I'd look for a nice high powered bridge rectifier you can chassis mount of put on a heatsink.

I would like to get as close to true surround sound as possible without going too far over budget. maybe like 250@ at the most. I will look into the chips. Thank you for the pointer. I have wanted to attempt this for some time and now have a bit of extra time to give it a shot.

Hi fraser80, I don't know what phisical configuration you are looking for, but most new motherboards and laptops (with plug in sound cards) offer up 7.1 audio outs. A builder can concentrate on just several power amps as a start and get more sophisticated later.

Example: Asus P5E-VM DO

out.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.