Golden plating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

For starters, check out www.caswellplating.com . It is possible to gold plate directly over copper, but you could have problems with the gold wearing or chipping off. Putting on a nickel plate on first will make everything much happier, unless you think itll hurt your sound somehow. You can get full kits for plating from caswell, or you can just get the chemicals, a heater and some anodes if you dont mind finding something else to use for a tank and want to save some money. I would send them an email and ask what they suggest for your application, they have excellent customer service. Good luck.

-Chris

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Cardas does rhodium over silver for its premium connectors. rhodium is just as inert as gold and harder so is more durable. It is also more expensive. It saves you from having to use the nickel under plate which is magnetic.

Here is a doc that explains the plating process.

Attachments

• general plating procedure instructions.zip
    20.2 KB · Views: 74
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Cardas does rhodium over silver for its premium connectors. rhodium is just as inert as gold and harder so is more durable. It is also more expensive. It saves you from having to use the nickel under plate which is magnetic.

From experience I'd hold the nickel plating (actually the fact that it's magnetic) responsible for the sonic degradation I observe on virtually all things gold-plated.

The rhodium stuff OTOH sounds fantastic but it does come cheap.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.