3886 Ebay kit Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's coming along.... just got a new batch of caps in the other day and got them soldered on. I'm still following Aguilabrava's thread to see what his final conclusion of the completed amp is. I'm having to scrap alot of the original design in favor of a more "traditional" setup.

My boy was just born this last Friday so I've kinda slowed to almost a stop here lately. I'll pick back up in a couple of days. I've checked out your DAC and I gotta admit it looks really temting:D;)
Congrats on your newborn! That event always adds a lot of excitement, stress, tension and late nights around the house. :D I'm taking my amp build a little slower. There's always something else I need it seems. I powered up the big toroidal today and checked the secondary voltages (without load) and they all checked out. I also discovered I needed some longer M3 screws for my IEC connector. M3 screws are not easily sourced at Home Depot, or Rat Shack. :( :no: I also ordered some heavier duty binding posts that I preferred.

Hey, Fabricated, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm happy to hear that your son was born and you are back here at diyAudio.

Regarding my amp, I am very happy with it, it sounds amazing. I will be posting some pictures soon. I didn't use the input selector board and the speaker protection board, I will use them when I finally get the enclosure.

The only issue is that the heatsinks get really hot when I play it at full volume, I can't even touch them, I think I could easily fry some eggs on top of them, but I've had it playing at full volume for hours and it works perfect, no distortion or noises of any kind. I think that I will have to look for some CPU type heatsinks, and then decide on the enclosure after that.

Redjr, I looked at your thread, your amp looks really nice. I saw it on eBay yesterday or the day before and I placed it on my wish list as a good candidate for my next project. I don't know much about this, but I think you are right, it doesn't need any modifications. The only question I have is about powering it, they say that it requires 60V and 45V???

Yeah i've heard of several people having really good results using a cpu heatsink per chip without the fans. I was thinking about doing it myself.

Keep plugging away... I'm looking forward to seeing you hook up the selector.

Even the quiets fans make noise and attract dust:(! I am not a fan of fans lol. I would never build an amp using fans to cool down amp. as long as it is a big enough heat sink to cool down amp...it will be ok.:D

....Redjr, I looked at your thread, your amp looks really nice. I saw it on eBay yesterday or the day before and I placed it on my wish list as a good candidate for my next project. I don't know much about this, but I think you are right, it doesn't need any modifications. The only question I have is about powering it, they say that it requires 60V and 45V???
You don't use both voltages - either/or. My PSU will be supplying 60v rails for a class AB configuration at about 100wpc into 8ohms.

Quick question about this amp. I see this: LM3886 Amplifier Amp Board Power Supply Rectifier Filter Plate LM3886TF DIY Kit | eBay
I presume it is the unit being discussed here, or one almost the same from another supplier. Most of this thread is about building an amp with it, OK nice. But. Is the kit itself in need of circuit changes? I want to buy two of them to build a bi-amped system with my Focal tweeters that I've been sitting on for years. I haven't seen any mention of mods needed to the kit itself. Is this true? I can put together my own box, power tranny, preamp, crossover etc. I just would like to know if the amp boards out of the box are OK, or do I need to tweak them.

Quick question about this amp. I see this: LM3886 Amplifier Amp Board Power Supply Rectifier Filter Plate LM3886TF DIY Kit | eBay
I presume it is the unit being discussed here, or one almost the same from another supplier. Most of this thread is about building an amp with it, OK nice. But. Is the kit itself in need of circuit changes? I want to buy two of them to build a bi-amped system with my Focal tweeters that I've been sitting on for years. I haven't seen any mention of mods needed to the kit itself. Is this true? I can put together my own box, power tranny, preamp, crossover etc. I just would like to know if the amp boards out of the box are OK, or do I need to tweak them.
Link not working.

Look for this ebay item number: 171240417783
This is a FANTASTIC amplifier in my opinion.
I built it, and use it EVERYDAY.
There are other opinions about this particular amp, like it do not have a Zobel!
AndrewT recomended a mod. You can find it in the forum under "I bought a LM3886 kit" (or something like that).
Mine don't have that mod.
Just be sure to buy a good transformer 200va (Antek), and a speaker protection board (will surely save your life).
Enjoy it.

I bought one too.

Decided that a chip amp one was not my best choice as I am still experimenting and have not settled on a system.

Power Supply board follows what I saw in this thread:
link

The Parts:
P1060089.jpg

Stuffed and working
P1060092.jpg

Working on a set of open baffle speakers to use in the living room. Will compare this with amp camp, then decide if either will be the "finalish amp, or build something else!

Your twisted input wires are wrong.

You need one pair of twisted input wires.
One core goes from Input socket Hot to PCB Signal Hot.
The other core goes from Input socket Cold/Return to PCB Signal Cold/Return.

If you want to use a star quad wiring connection, then the two diametrically opposed wires are one pair to connect the Hots and the other two diametrically opposed wires are the other pair to connect the Colds/Returns.

The Power cable triplet should be a twisted triplet.
The Speaker cable should be a twisted pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.