Using a Musical Fidelity X10D as a Valve Buffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally got my little Rod Elliot Gainclone working after many months of messing about and trials and tribulations. Sounds really nice, I might even go so far as to say it sounds better than my ZenV2 with Bride of Zen Pre. Certainly the bass is amazingly better and the clarity is stunning. Makes most things sound just right, with no artificial artifacts.

Anyway at the moment I have it with a voltage divider on the input (22k on the input, 10k to earth and a 2.2k following). I am using a 10K Alps pot as a passive preamp. Sounds fine as is. However I have a Musical Fidelity X10D which is a valve buffer, which I usually have after my CD player, in which configeration it works fine with the 10K pot and the Gainclone. However when i try to move it to between the 10K pot and the Gainclone, to act as a valve buffer, it just distorts really badly. I presume that this is due to the 10K pot been to low a value, but I don't understand these matters well enough to be certain. Should I be thinking about a higher value pot, such as 50K or 100K.

Any useful ideas.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.