A bit of expert advice required for all these gainclone components - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
elaar is offline elaar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default A bit of expert advice required for all these gainclone components

Hi all,

About 5 years ago I decided to build a gainclone. Instead of just building a simple design and perhaps later tweaking it, it seems I kept changing my mind on the design and where I had more money than sense, kept buying more components and yet never completed one.
Since then, repairing arcade boards has been my main hobby, but I would really like to actually finish this. I have 2 monoblock cases ready (which took a while to make and I found out that drilling into 3mm brushed stainless steel was near on impossible), with transformers and was hoping people could suggest a good way of using all of the components I have hoarded.

In a file, I have all of the print outs of designs I purchased the components for, these include Carlos Filipe's buffered inverted GC, regulated snubbed PSU v1.1, non-inverting v4, unregulated psu mkIV and a few more to boot.
I also have multiple PCBs, mostly from unisonus, LM3886, LM4780 and preamps

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

The transformers are 225v encapsulated 25v*2, and I plan to use these with B&W 8ohm, and somehow interface with the PC, but probably create a seperate preamp with buffer/volume control. I don't require a large output wattage as I live in a flat.

The components I have disgracefully amassed are:
4 x LM4780TA (and unisonus boards, although these don't have to be used)
2 x LM3886
2 x OPA627 (and 4 unisonus pre amp boards)
3 x OPA637
18 x 2200uF 50v Pana FC caps ( I was going for a low impedance PSU)
4 x LM338 5Amp regs (for the regulated designs)
2 x Audyn 4.7uF huge polypropylene caps
+ All the associated resistors/chokes etc for alot of designs.

With all of these components, and the advance of designs in the last 5 years, what would you do with these? I could do with putting the rest on ebay for some extra beer money.

Sorry this post is a bit long, any advice is gratefully received as always. I will continue to scour the forum posts for ideas.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 5th February 2012, 01:33 AM   #2
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

*Not an expert*

Sounds like you have ADD.
I would build something with the LM3886s and the caps.

You could sell the extra boards, regulators, LM4780, opamps and chokes etc. (I myself would keep at least the LM4780 for a rainy day)

I can't really recommend a specific design for you, as I have not heard many of them
Just build something, they make a nice amplifier.

At the moment I have the Audiosector LM3875 on breadboard. I have added proper capacitance, dual 25v transformers. I really enjoy it.
Old 5th February 2012, 03:03 AM   #3
elaar is offline elaar  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input Globug!
I don't feel I'm quite at the ADD stage yet, but you know what it's like when new designs come out and you're young (i'm not so young anymore).

The LM3886 is a good place to start I agree. I think I should sell the 4 x LM4780+boards, god knows how I accumulated 4 of them!

That still leaves the design, we have enough components for non/regulated psu with inverted/non inverted amp with enough to do a buffer...

Thanks!
Andy
Old 7th February 2012, 06:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You mean, you don't remember what you bought all those components for?

With 10 channels of amplification you could build five active 2-way speakers for a home theatre. You could also build a pair of 3- or 4-way active speakers, and use the left-over amps to bridge or parallel them for the ways that need more power. Then there is the possibility to make a stereo amp for each room in your house. Or you could simply build one variant of each non-inverted, inverted, regulated supply, unregulated supply, with and without all optional components, you name it. Then make a nice and thorough listening comparison and post the results.

Selling what you don't need is of course an option, too, but a pity.

Hide this!Advertise here!