Grounded Bridge Chipamp (using LM4780)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

I just ported the Grounded Bridge design invented by Crown to the LM4780 amplifier chip. I added the schematic to this post. Will this work or will the LM4780 protection circuits prevent the chip from working?

Attachments

• untitled.pdf
    99.9 KB · Views: 538
Sunn had used this output configuration in their Concert series power amplifiers before Crown did, I believe.

I had just posted this earlier, But I had to delete it because the link was to a revised version and I think that it was incorrect.

This is the correct print to the two versions I have of this amplifier in which are slave amplifiers.

http://sunn.ampage.org/site/schematics/concertbass.gif

enjoy !!

jer :)

Last edited:
you're right that seems like being the same design, altough its obviously transformer-coupled(?)

anyway, does my implemention of that design using lm4780s work? using ne5532 as opamp instead of lm4780s works properly, but into very little load of course. so the only problem i see are the protection circuits in the chip.

The output devices are driven by a transformer,But the output devices are configured as bridged and ground on one end.
It took me a long time to realize how this configuration worked ,But it is very simple really.

If it works with a regular low power opamp I see no reason that it wouldn't work with a power opamp.

Is the input ground Referenced to GND?

jer :)

Last edited:
my guess is that you need to look at stability, the power chip amps are only stable for Acl > 10

some Spice macromodels will fail by showing stable operation when the circuit isn't

you may need "noise gain" compensation added to the "gnd" amp

and I hate it when people don't just put the image in their post instead of linking a pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.