help choosing amplifier design/kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 02:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help choosing amplifier design/kit

hi,

i wish to make a new amplifier as my old one died and tbh its very old and not worth trying to fix. i have an old media PC case i will be using to house the parts.

what i want.

1) 2x 50-100watts into 8ohms.
2) possibly a subwoofer channel? - not sure what kind of power would be available.
3) most bang per buck.

i am looking to put this together using mostly pre-built components. i could be convinced to go all out into the manufacturing process if it represented large gains in output+fidelity for the money compared to the extra effort required.

the sound input will be directly from a PC sound card so apparently no volume control is required, however if a subwoofer channel is possible, then one would be required for the sub channel.

not really sure what the specific question would be, just looking to get a discussion of possible options.

thanks for your help.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i found this site

Tripath TK2050 Amplifier

which seems fairly straight forward if not very elegant. is it correct tho?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2 Channel 100w TK2050 TP2050 Tripath Class-T Power Amplifier Audio Board

i have looked on the forums and they seem to have good feedback.

can they be run bridged to get 100watt into 8ohms?
Old 19th January 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

You could try a kit(s) from DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Even better then a subwoofer amp IMO is to Bi-Amp.

Use one kit for the Highs and one for the Lows.

You will have to split the signal before the amps.

Some say bass is Mono, the rest of us like bass in stereo. Bass sometimes sounds funny when summed into mono. Stereo sounds better for movies etc, and yes I can hear a difference between mono and stereo bass.

Also when you Bi-Amp, you get much more power. It takes much more energy to produce bass with the high frequencies riding along and vice-versa. So by separating the frequencies the amps can put all their power into their particular frequency range. You could say it your power would ~double.

Something to think about anyways.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply but most of that went over my head, please pardon my ignorance.

i think i understand what you're saying about the bi-amp as this sound like what i had initially thought out in my head (correct or not).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Yes you have the right idea.

The main difference is that BiAmping is in Stereo, as opposed to processing the bass into mono.

Hide this!Advertise here!