1st diy amp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi can someone recommend an amp kit that is good for a first timer.
Also recommend a good power supply that will work with it.

The budget is around £100 (160 USD)
My source is an Arcam Rdac and my speakers are Monitor Audio BX2 that require 30-100 watts at 8ohms 90DB

So far i was looking at something from Chipamp.com or DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

Many Thanks
Mark

It works out at just over £40 delivered which is good but which one will i need the 300va 22+22 or shall i go for the 25+25??? Also im definitely going to go with an audio sector kit as they seem very popular and theres lots of stuff on the forums to help me.

Also is there much difference between the classic and the premium kit? is it worth the extra money??

Thanks to everyone for all your reply's i really cant wait to get started!!

It works out at just over £40 delivered which is good but which one will i need the 300va 22+22 or shall i go for the 25+25??? Also im definitely going to go with an audio sector kit as they seem very popular and theres lots of stuff on the forums to help me.

Also is there much difference between the classic and the premium kit? is it worth the extra money??

Thanks to everyone for all your reply's i really cant wait to get started!!

I build the premium and I was happy with quality! These LM3875 kits sound very good, but use at least 10.000uf per rail in the power supply. they come with "joke" caps for power supply.;)

Last edited:
If you are going to use the 25volt model, you will need more heat sink area. The datasheet for the chip uses 35v (after rectification) for all specifications. To determine the after rectification voltage, multiply by 1.41. Then you can decide. I think max voltage is 40. I would go with the premium kit as it is a bargain as those caddock resistors are costly when purchased separately. The concept behind the ps caps is part of the "secret". Ask Peter to explain it and get his suggestion. I think he knows more about the design than all of us put together. You might also ask him about transormer voltage. Regards BTW he is very good about answering emails.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.