MyRef Integrated Solutions - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2012, 04:07 PM   #111
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Bob, impressive job!

Very nice, maybe a bit overkill...

Just one thing, do you have space for the Fremen Edition PCBs?

they're 100x114mm

PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmbob View Post
The signal after the pre passes through Neotech solid core wire.
If it's Neotech OCC, did you take care of determining the right direction?

That cable is directional

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 11th February 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11th February 2012, 06:15 PM   #112
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Guys. It's been great fun.

Dario,
I remember that conversation about the Neotech. That's why I reinstalled the two pin signal in socket (gold) on the MyRefs. Once everything is in and working I'll do some of those comparisons. I have not yet found the gold male faston tabs to mount on the boards - maybe someone has a link. I'm also going to give the "angle hair" solid silver a try.

In terms of overbuilding - I agree. I still haven't determined if the larger discreet toroids actually make an audible difference. The 3"x3"x1/4" frame will hopefully eliminate the need for separate heat sinks. The transformer shield has more to do with the computer (matching chassis) that will sit on top, than the amp itself.

Depending on the output of the FE, a simpler straight forward buffer might be a good alternative to the JC-2. Remember the only reason for the JC-2 is the low efficiency of my speakers.

With fewer transformers the soft-start may not have been absolutely necessary. But when the occasional guest comes by, all those clicks and LEDs flashing gives me the chance to impersonate someone who really knows what he is doing.

Onward and Upward !

P.S. I'm planning to do a new build - maybe even back to monoblocks - for the FE.

Last edited by bcmbob; 11th February 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11th February 2012, 10:49 PM   #113
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I remember that conversation about the Neotech. That's why I reinstalled the two pin signal in socket (gold) on the MyRefs. Once everything is in and working I'll do some of those comparisons.
Fine

Quote:
I have not yet found the gold male faston tabs to mount on the boards - maybe someone has a link. I'm also going to give the "angle hair" solid silver a try.
They're indicated in the BOM, BTW Mouser 534-1287

Quote:
P.S. I'm planning to do a new build - maybe even back to monoblocks - for the FE.
Old 3rd March 2012, 03:12 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Default Well worth the wait.

Hi All !

Well after a long delay, the pieces of this project have finally come together. Calibrating the LighterNote took longer than I had hoped due to the fact that I apparently fried two of the LDRs on the board. Problems continued till I took the time to re-heat a bunch of points and install gold posts on the LN in/out terminals. Everything finally fell in place.

The results? Nothing less than glorious. The absolute clarity of the LighterNote pushes the JC-2 pre to feed the MyRefs to a quality of sound I have never experienced in my home. Period.

In the photo you can see my fifteen year old DIY reference speakers (Vifa and Peerless drivers - Leap custom X-over) flanked by the newer Sunflowers. The room is twelve feet wide and the SFs sit a foot and a half from the side walls. When playing the system through the inner speakers, instruments appear clear and distinct outside the Sunflowers. The dept of stage is more than I had hoped to achieve.

20120303_091908.jpg

I intend to hard wire all internal leads eventually, but added a variety of posts and terminals and built a separate module to be able to do some "wire sound" testing. Currently there are about five flavors in the arsenal ranging from single strand solid 30ga silver through a couple boutique copper types.

20120303_093149.jpg

This photo shows the volume and balance pots attached to the LN with cat-6 cable.
20120303_093306.jpg

Here (bottom of pic) you can see the single strand silver wire in an interconnect experiment.
20120303_093328.jpg

Fabrication of the matching chassis for the media center computer has started. (love those flac files) There will be at least two shielded modules - one for the MB/PS/Hard drive and a second for a DAC fed directly from the motherboard via S/PDIF. ....Water cooling -???

20120303_093401.jpg

20120303_093412.jpg

20120303_093726.jpg

20120303_093817.jpg

20120303_094128.jpg
Yes, That is BONDO

The integrated amp should be completed by the end of next week.

Last edited by bcmbob; 3rd March 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:21 PM   #115
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Impressive...

Good work, Bob
Old 3rd March 2012, 06:55 PM   #116
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

very sweet! Glad this project is nearly done for you. What's next? DAC?
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:58 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys.

I thought I had the DAC completed but found out (again due to some cold solder joints) I fried one of the WM8740 chips. This was my first complex surface mount attempt and I made some noobie mistakes. The supplier (Jim's Audio - eBay) graciously offered to do the replacement and repairs. Hopefully it will be back by the time the second chassis is done.

Here is a posting from a different eBay supplier but it's the same design.

DAC DIR9001+PCM2706+WM8740 Kit (Coaxial + USB)WLX-1 | eBay

If I have any difficulties I might try the Mini2496 that Dario and friends have been perfecting over the past few months.

DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Last edited by bcmbob; 3rd March 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:16 AM   #118
squalor is offline squalor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
to be able to do some "wire sound" testing
Gee, it looks like the wire from the PCBs to the speaker terminals and RCAs is less than an inch long. Good design !

What kind of disk player is that ?
Old 4th March 2012, 10:58 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

squalor,

Thanks, I'm trying to keep all signal wires at a minimum. That's on of the benifits of using the LighterNote as the signal does not go through the volume and balance pots. Those pots use a small current to adjust the resistance of the LDRs on the board and eliminate mechanical contact (the wiper) in the signal path. When completed 90% of the signal wires will be 2 inches or less.
JsMod4 (1).jpg

The CD player is a modified Sony PS-1. As the story goes, a rogue engineer decided to design a DAC chip with the characteristics of a tube amp and came up with the AKM4309AVM DAC Chip. Many have compared it's sound to players costing several thousand dollars. Unfortunately, Sony used that chip in only one version of the PS-1. Here is a link to the mods

Mick Feuerbacher Audio Projects

...and the extensive thread on user results.

Playstation as CD-player

Last edited by bcmbob; 4th March 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:20 AM   #120
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Short connections are great.
Have you thought about twisted pairs?
Try to work out what route the Signal Ground must follow to minimise the loop areas.

Hide this!Advertise here!