tripath 2020 modding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, can any one help ive taking these parts from an old technics amp and just wonderd if i could replace any parts on the helder amp? ive got it running on a stripped down pc power supply and about 2 build a new case for it all so while doing so i thought why not try and mod it. is it worth modding? if so will i get an improved sound? any help would be appreciated and i will post pics when all completed.

Attachments

• IMG_8453.JPG
    IMG_8453.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 165
Well, all I see are a few capacitors. You could add those to the power supply side of the amp if it doesn't cause too much inrush current, though for that little thing it's not really necessary, probably any total value over 4700uF including what's on the amp board would be overkill.

Otherwise people seem to say swapping in different input coupling film caps makes a difference but exotic ones can get pricey and may have limited return over what are already on the board. There's a related topic on DIYaudio, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/172083-mods-helders-ta2020-mkiii-amp-module.html

Otherwise, some claim to like the synergy between using a switching power supply and these class T (D) amps, or maybe they are just itching to use a switching supply anyway and it's all psychological whether it sounds better, worse or no different. You'll have to audition and decide for yourself. Similarly you could try linear regulation for the power rails but I doubt you'll notice that either unless the PSU had high ripple.

Here's a question: If those electrolytic caps came from an "old" technics amp, why would you want to put old parts that degrade over time, into a new build? If I were looking to build with that module and increase capacitance, I think I'd get the highest uF value capacitor that will fit in the space available on the amp PCB and swap it in place of the one already on the PCB... and otherwise, just use a standard PSU circuit appropriate for the current the amp needs with a bit of capacitance there as expected... also new caps.

Then again, what is "old" to some people isn't so old to others. Suppose the caps were only 5-10 years old and the amp never ran hot, then they may still have most of their viable lifespan remaining... but I'd still rather one decent quality new cap than an excess of aged ones.

hi thanks for the reply, i didnt know that capacitors degraded over time im new to all this and just really learning and picking up ideas as i go along. i dont want to spend money just yet if i dont know what im doing but will do in future when get more confident. i will swap them over and if i dont here a difference then its a case of swapping back over. in the mean time i will look through the link you posted. thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.