First DIY :]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a portable headphone amp [for my new Senn HD 448!!] and I love building stuff so I figured I'd build one. Never done anything with electronics, but I've done circuits this year at school and I actually quite enjoy it. For the first one I'm more interested in getting a kit and building it and I'm not exactly sure but I saw this one on ebay. Is it any good? Should I get it or no? (Haven't learned op-amps yet, learning it what it is next term.)

Thanks!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sounds like a pretty good offer. Especially the if you can't get it working for any reason send it back with $5 for postage and it will be fixed and sent back! Seller has 100% positive feedback as well.

I'm not familiar with headphone amps so can't comment on the sound quality, but as an intro to diy it sounds like a nice simple project :)

The only thing that seems a little strange is it says 18V, shows two battery snaps, but only has a single 9V battery in the pics of the completed project.

Tony.

Regarding one vs two battery connectors, the included opamp should be ok with 1 x 9V, but some other opamps you could put in may need more than 9V, or especially if you were using 7.2V (6-cell) NiMH rechargable 9V form-factor battery, it would be better to use two in series for 14.4V, assuming the included capacitors are rated above 16V (fully charged series of 2 x 7.2V NiMH will peak at 17.4V right out of the charger, also due to this, do not use 2 x 8.4V NiMH with that opamp which has an 18V max rating while they'd be at 20V fully charged.

One thing about this type of mint tin setup is that it's more of a pain to turn the volume knob when you have cables plugged in so close to it on both sides, though 90' plugs help a lot.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Listen. You have to start somewhere. If you diy once, I guarantee you that you'll be hooked. Which means that you'll listen to your first project. Then you'll look for something slightly better, and build it. Next thing you know... sorry for your wallet! :)

Hey, this is one rare little spot where a little bit of happiness CAN be diy-ed. :) There's almost nothing to lose.

thanks for the help guys, i'll definitely give this one a shot, my friends looking for a cmoy so if this one turns out good but i want to build a better one i can definitely sell it to him. :]

side note:
also, are there any places that have cheap parts? cause the ones that i've looked at from the forum has shipping for like $6? [in other words, is it normally a group buy?] are there places that sell these parts in an actual store?
sorry for the loads of questions, just a big newbie. :]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.