TDA7374 practical applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

First post here. I hope that I've posted in the right place.

Recently I've become interested in the idea of building a quality chip amp to replace my aging Kenwood amplifier.

I did a little bit of research on the web and came across quite a lot of information. Now I'm quite open to suggestion, but I've heard some very promising things about the TDA7374. The distortion figures are low, and I don't need lots of watts. The low parts count and low unit cost really appeals to a cheapskate like me.

However, looking around the web for practical circuits I don't see any. In fact, the only circuit I find is the test circuit in the SG-Thomson datasheet.

So, here are my main questions - Does anyone have any thoughts on using this particular chip and circuit? What sort of sound could I expect? Is this actually a real-world circuit and if so are there any changes that could be made with sound quality in mind?

I also notice that it's a fixed gain chip. Would implementation of a volume control simply be the introduction of a potentiometer on the input? I'm a practical guy, but certainly not an electronics expert, so feel free to shoot me down for such a suggestion if it's crazy!

BTW, I have read Lohk's 'new chipamp tda7374' thread - it's one of the main reasons I'm interested in this chip, but the discussion didn't really answer the questions I have.

Your thoughts and replies would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rich.

Hi jcx,

Thanks for your reply. I thought the same when I read the data sheet.

I've also read that this chip, or one of it's close relatives may be the chip used in the Altmann BYOB amplifier. This gave me the idea that some high quality could be wrung out of it despite it's lowly status.

I also liked very much the idea of using a battery to power it.

Am I barking up the wrong tree searching for simplicity of build, battery power and a quality worth building, or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

All the best,

Rich.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.