My LM3886 build thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2011, 02:16 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsinks.....

Yep, these Machtron heatsinks are things of beauty....

I'm now dreaming up other (class A) projects, just so I can use more of them...!

Unfortunately, Jim--I have an unused pair I can show you, but I have them packed up already for the pending move to the Florida homestead (and I don't know which of the 50+ cartons have them....!)

But come on down, and look at my Chip Amp in person.....any time!

Ken
Old 28th November 2011, 12:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kuldeepsingh
wow.. absolute sexy
Old 28th November 2011, 12:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Normally, my first comment on chipamp builds is "Have you thought about the dissipation in the heatsinks?".

Rats!

Cracking build!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th November 2011, 02:03 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

way cool.... *drool
Old 28th November 2011, 02:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Normally, my first comment on chipamp builds is "Have you thought about the dissipation in the heatsinks?".

Rats!

Cracking build!
Thanks....! ....and the heatsinks are sooooo big, I can also use them to chill my red wines......!!!
Old 24th February 2012, 09:32 PM   #16
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I saw this thread referenced in another LM3886 build thread so had to have a look. Wonderful job and looks stunning! I'm getting ready to start an LM4702 based chip-amp project. I'm using some pre-assembled modules, but the case and layout will be of my design. It will be based on this amp module. It's been years since I tackled anything this major, but figured I have some time on my hands now so why not.

I can't fabricate my own case as you have so competently done, so am looking for off the shelf enclosures. I've looked at a few brands online that are nice looking, but since I haven't finished the final design I'm not sure on the exact size I need. I'm still waiting on most of the parts to show up. The project may go from an amp build to an integrated amp build, so additional space will need to be considered. Plus I have a monster toroidal to deal with. Do you have any recommendations for quality enclosures?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your amp design and build. I'm sure I can learn from your experience. Came out looking very professional and expensive!
Old 24th February 2012, 11:12 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Functional art! Lovin it, great job!
Old 26th February 2012, 12:47 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
I saw this thread referenced in another LM3886 build thread so had to have a look. ......... Came out looking very professional and expensive!
Thanks for the comments. I don't know about professional and expensive.....but I can confirm it's HEAVY--one of the drawbacks of huge heatsinks and a thick chassis....!

As for commercial chassis, I really don't have any good recommendations. I've discovered if you can integrate the heatsinks and rear chassis apron and base plate, it's easier to DIY than find a classy commericial chassis/enclosure.... In my case, the last "piece of the puzzle" was the front panel, and Front Panel Express provided me with the answer I was needing.
Old 26th February 2012, 03:59 AM   #19
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm Man View Post
Thanks for the comments. I don't know about professional and expensive.....but I can confirm it's HEAVY--one of the drawbacks of huge heatsinks and a thick chassis....!

As for commercial chassis, I really don't have any good recommendations. I've discovered if you can integrate the heatsinks and rear chassis apron and base plate, it's easier to DIY than find a classy commericial chassis/enclosure.... In my case, the last "piece of the puzzle" was the front panel, and Front Panel Express provided me with the answer I was needing.
It does look heavy too! Hey thanks for the heads up on FPE. Hadn't heard of them until now. Looks interesting and useful for future projects.
Old 26th February 2012, 05:03 AM   #20
just another
diyAudio Moderator

That's stunning! Fantastic build

Tony.

Hide this!Advertise here!