TDA7293 versus LM3886 sound quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 04:59 AM   #1
dildel is offline dildel  India
diyAudio Member

Default TDA7293 versus LM3886 sound quality

Greetings,
Has anyone compared TDA7293 and LM3886 side-by-side with a pair of audiophile grade speakers? I am asking because LM3886 supposedly has lower levels of distortion. Is it really audible?

Design and implementation complexity of both is about the same and has been compared in earlier threads.
Thanks.
Old 15th November 2011, 06:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There many onions regarding the subject. PLS consider that Operational Amplifier depends on a quality of passive components.

Also LM3886 uses quasi complementary BJTs for an output stage that is taking into account modern ICs optimization making LM a bit ahead of TDA.

imho LM3886 is more popular IC overall and therefore you can get better support that might be the most important concern for DIY project.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

See this project:
Project 127
The absence of the Dreaded spike protection circuitry may give the TDA7293 the edge if there is any chance of getting close to the edge. Just a thought.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kuldeepsingh
Hi,
i have done some listening between LM1875 and TDA2050. LM1875 has a very transparent sound and clear sound, but i felt TDA2050 gave a much warmer and richer sound. Both i operated on 18V on medium listening level.
similarly i feel the best way to compare is to made both the amplifiers and do blind listening test. How you perceive sound is a very personal choice.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

As far as the quality of ic I got here is concerned ,Lm1875 sounds like ****.I m back to TDA 2040 .It is just cool.After doing many tweaks in lm1875 ,the amp sounds like a class A amp.That thing is not negotiable 2 me.If my Lm ic is fake then Tda is also fake.Many people like Lm.I wud say a bias.May b our ears are dissimilar.Just a though no offence.
Old 27th November 2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I have also compared TDA7294 bridged side by side w/ an LM4780 Paralleled.
The TDA sounded warmer on the low end but the LM4780 is more precise.
I am now working on a Tube front end for my LM's to try and warm them up.
Old 27th November 2011, 10:47 AM   #7
DIGORA is offline DIGORA  Belgium
Account disabled at member's request

The best sounding TDA schematic according to Françis IBRE http://www.eyrolles.com/Accueil/Aute...cis-ibre-61265

http://imageshack.us/f/256/ampli7293...7293schma2.jpg

(inverting the minus BYW98)

Last edited by DIGORA; 27th November 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:52 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Digo,
why does the first link take me to adverts for books?
why does the second link take me to a remote server upload page?

I am reporting your post.
Old 27th November 2011, 02:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

AndrewT, I believe the first link was just to reference Mr Ibre as a recognized writer in France...

The second link has some wrong spaces so fail :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...293schma2.jpg/

The idea is to separate pre-amp and amp DC supplies, Mr Ibre explained that the sound is really better this way and another guy realized the schematics :
Fangorn - comme un arbre dans la ville ...
http://fangorn.fr.free.fr/ampliTDA_sch.pdf

Important : seems that replacing the BYW98 by a resistor will destroy the chip, by delaying too much the power at pre-amp, at start-up...

This is a simplification of the "kit Hermes" tip (see description page 7 of 8) :
http://www.ermes.free.fr/kier313.pdf

Translated for you, thanks google :

"The drivers of entry to the CI are fed by pin 7 (+ Vs) and 8 (-Vs). The trick is to supply the drivers with a voltage higher than that of the power. A difference of 10V just about. Thus, we can remove the capacitor bootstrap (C8).
Specifically, just provide few volts further, and change a little the card. (We do can't provide a guarantee as a result of this optional intervention)

CHANGE OF THE CARD:
Cut two pieces of track with a cutter to locations detailed below. Move directly to the two square pads tensions + Vs and - Vs with isolated copper wires.
Beware short circuits, hazardous voltages you vehicle. There is no shame in using a microscope to check quality of your work!

EXTRA POWER
It should be double. We use a transformer with two separate secondary windings: these two additional voltages will be in series with the positive and negative power stage.
Do not exceed the + and - 30V for the transformer power section not to exceed the limits of constructor.

Last edited by Leglandu; 27th November 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 07:22 AM   #10
dildel is offline dildel  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks for this information. I think it's safe to conclude that one of them isn't significantly better than the other. I'll go for building one that's easier and safer

Hide this!Advertise here!