The Peter Daniel tribute amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

I've been very impressed with your elegant, austere designs. This is my rendition of your acrylic GC; I took what I felt to be the general feel from this amp, rather attempting a carbon copy. I am still struggling to accomplish in weeks what you can in a few days. ;)

Attachments

• pd_big.jpg
    pd_big.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,252
Here is an ugly little amp that I built as a center channel monoblock. It sits out of sight and gets the job done; I did use good parts for the internals. Most of these amps use Panasonic FC supply caps, Holco (NOS) resistors, and Alps pots. I did some experimenting with Dales. The blue coupling caps are ERO MKP1845...very nice.

Attachments

• center.jpg
    center.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,141
Coincidence or Bizarro world.

Interesting,
Your first amp has a wooden case.
Peter’s latest amp, also wood. Hmmmm.....

What kind of input transformer did you use in the MB-GC? Is that a motorized pot next to it?

Nice work. Interesting progression.

-Dave

Thanks for the compliments! To answer some questions, yes, I used leftover motorized pots because I have a number on hand.

I did use a Talema power transformer (115:44 nominal) in the monoblocks which is almost exactly 2:1 in the turns ratio. Although this may cause great dismay among some people ;) this transformer is really quite nice for the application. It is flat from 20Hz-30,000+Hz, although there is some distortion at low frequencies...roughly four times that of a Jensen transformer I believe. By 1kHz though distortion is below -100dB, making it perfect here. (There was some ringing in the 100-150kHz band but that was easy enough to damp)

As a bonus, the monoblocks maintain absolute phase thanks to the transformers.

Nuuk, please feel free to include whatever you want. I think the idea of a gallery is really nice. Thanks!

Nice implementation;)

Have you thought about shielding the amp: top and bottom covers? Originally I wanted to make it open, but the interferences (even signs of oscillating) were so strong, that I had to remove coupling caps (as they picked quite a lot) and install metal mesh on top with a ground attached. Since most of my amp is done from acrylic, I had to also run another wire to ground the pot. I also noticed that best sound is achieved with a single cone in front and acrylic-rubber footing at the back.

Thanks Peter! I have been considering putting some type of cover on this amp....I have had no problems with oscillation but the noise floor is definitely higher than the fully-enclosed amps. There is a metal subchassis in my amp and the inputs/caps themselves rest partially under the grounded body of the pot, so I think I avoid some noise that way.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.