Thinking about a gainclone for the car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only problem with a GC and late mdl car is the alternator controls is based on pulse width modulation.If you hook a scope to a late mdl car battery while its running(approx 1998 or>) there is a constantly changing square wave response (looks like a spastic square wave) as the alternator cuts in and out every .005 to.050 seconds (depends on the system load). I dont know what this may do to the signal response and have never really looked into it.I built a GC for a friend that went into his car but it had 2-12v isolated batteries and the speakers were a kinda MLTL using RS-1354a drivers. he was very pleased.
ron
(BTW i am NOT into car systems)

ron clarke said:
The only problem with a GC and late mdl car is the alternator controls is based on pulse width modulation.If you hook a scope to a late mdl car battery while its running(approx 1998 or>) there is a constantly changing square wave response (looks like a spastic square wave) as the alternator cuts in and out every .005 to.050 seconds (depends on the system load). I dont know what this may do to the signal response and have never really looked into it.I built a GC for a friend that went into his car but it had 2-12v isolated batteries and the speakers were a kinda MLTL using RS-1354a drivers. he was very pleased.
ron
(BTW i am NOT into car systems)

The first time I ran an inverted LM3875 on a plain vanilla switching supply the distortion increased about 10 fold. I performed the same test on some Linear Tech opamps and the result was exactly the same -- so there is an obvious need for care.

Ron, you seemed to have done almost what I want to do.

I wanted to use 4 12V batteries to power a gainclone for a friends car, power different speakers, TB W4-657S, but it's very simmilar to what you have done.

What I was wondering about was charging the batteries, you wouldn't want to charge them while the car was off (don't drain the cars battery) so they would have to be charged while running. Did you ever run into problems of the batteries being dead and having to turn the amp off for the to charge while driving?

I mean it's not like at home where you can charge them overnight...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.