Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2003, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default So is a DIY a good idea for me? 5 channel HT

Hi all I am a poor college student (nothing new here). Here is the situation. I am getting ready to get rid of my cheapass receiver and get a proper sound system. I want great 2 channel sound and good surround sound (for movies and maybe SACD in the future). Before I heard about gainclone I was leaning towards a Harmon/Kardon Sig2 amp or Marantz MA 500 monoblocks. Both for about $500 (on ebay) . This is a little more then I would like to spend, but I am willing to pay for quality. After seeing this site I am wondering if there are any DIY 5 channel amps that I should look into before going the commercial route. I am woundering if a DIY amp over christmass break is something that I should consiter.

I have been building little things for a long time, but I am not eletronics expert outside of putting togother ramsey kits.
Old 8th September 2003, 02:20 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The H/K Amp I am thinking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14973
Old 8th September 2003, 02:48 PM   #3
JCoffey is offline JCoffey  United States
diyAudio Member

It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to be able to build something yourself, or are trying to save some money? I dont think a GC will match a ready made amp for wattage, but, there's nothing like building it yourself.
You wont save any money building your own, and may end up spending more, depending on what you use. I've ordered 5 LM1875's for a HT amp, for the bedroom or PC, but I probably wouldnt even use the 3875's for HT, since they're only gonna have 50 watts at most unless they're bridged, so they're going into a 4 channel amp for Bi-amping.
Old 8th September 2003, 02:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoffey
It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to be able to build something yourself, or are trying to save some money?
I would really like to build something myself--however, at the same time money is tight, so money is the overridding factor.
Old 8th September 2003, 03:46 PM   #5
antomas is offline antomas  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default 2 is betther than 5?

Hi Mike,

Quote:
You wont save any money building your own, and may end up spending more, depending on what you use.
I very much share this opinion.

Did you consider the possibility of "listening" in good old stereo (cooler name: 2.0 channels ) from your Dvd player and building or investing in much better equipment (2 loudspeakers instead of 5, etc.)? Sooner or later, this will make your wife happier as well.

Ciao,
Massimo

P.S. http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/realstereo_e.html
Old 8th September 2003, 05:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion. However I would like to keep a nice 5 channel system. I already have a projector and HTIB and HDTV setup and I would like a sound system that does justice to the picture.
Old 8th September 2003, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoffey
I've ordered 5 LM1875's for a HT amp, for the bedroom or PC, but I probably wouldnt even use the 3875's for HT, since they're only gonna have 50 watts at most unless they're bridged, so they're going into a 4 channel amp for Bi-amping.
Just a small point, which is not really that important but worth mentioning. In a 5.1 HT system you won't need much power for the surround channels.

For a mid size room 50W for R, L and center should enough. You would only need bridging for the subwoofer.

Carlos
Old 8th September 2003, 06:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention it.

20W or 30W should be more than enough for the surrounds., so you can use a smaller supply.

Carlos
Old 8th September 2003, 07:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If it will cut costs I have an old Sansi intergrated amp that I am using as just a phono-preamp in another system at the moment. If I can 'de-intergate' the amp and make a cheap phono preamp then I could use it for the surrounds (Not a prefered solution, but on that is an option). Also I have a powered sub. I have search, but I have not come up with a good breakdown of the cost of a good gainclone, if anyone has one I would apprecate it.
Old 8th September 2003, 07:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I agree that DIY usually costs more than buying the equivalent. When time is factored in, it is much worse. You are a student, so I expect that your time is better spent studying...

In another thread, I've outlined my system. I use active studio monitors and a sony 5.1 dvd/sacd player. Make a volume control and you're done.

:)ensen.

HT vs Stereo - an issue not covered?

Hide this!Advertise here!