Buffering problems. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2003, 11:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBob
here it is, excuse my poor drawing abilities...
The drawing or the circuit around the 627 seems wrong to me.

Are you using an inverting or non-inverting circuit for the buffer?

If you are implementing a voltage follower, the output should go to the inverting input. The input filter connects only to the non-inverting input.

If you are reversing your 1st stage, connecting input filter and output to the inverting pin, then the non-inverting pin should be grounded.

Which is it?

Carlos
Old 8th September 2003, 01:10 PM   #12
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

In previous days I had a success simulating power on offsets, but the opamp buffered GC circuit (using OPA627 model) seems a bit weighty for my simulator. Using LM6172 model I did not saw anything to worry about (this is my report, not a wish to be responsible for damage…).

@ Nuuk:

Knowing that you are methodical and pedantic I wonder that you have omitted to indicate the inputs in the opamps.

@ Joe:

Make sure you are using the circuit as in the Nuuk’s schematic (OPA627’s minus input is up, plus input is down).

If you use the circuit as the high pas filter, IMHO it is better i.e. safer to put that high pass filtering cap to the OPA’s output.

Pedja
Old 8th September 2003, 01:14 PM   #13
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ummm.... ya, the OPA part is drawn wrong, it's wired up as a non-inverting unity gain buffer, output tied to - input, sorry for that, was in a hurry when I drew it.
Old 8th September 2003, 02:14 PM   #14
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Joe, is the problem power on thump or you are having a constant DC at the output?

Pedja
Old 8th September 2003, 08:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Constant DC, well it goes positive then swings almost all the way negative. I get just a slight power off thump, barely noticable (this is when the source is turned on first).
Old 8th September 2003, 09:08 PM   #16
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Constant DC, well it goes positive then swings almost all the way negative. I get just a slight power off thump, barely noticable (this is when the source is turned on first).
Spooky Joe! That's pretty much what I found when I started off with my OPA627 buffer! I got round it by using a different PSU!
Old 8th September 2003, 10:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Actually, changing the PSU lead to such a problem, at least I think so. Originally I used just a 15V regulator, then I added a 24V regulator followed by the 15V regulator, so now I have a "pre-regulator". And now I've got the PSU working perfectly I notice this problem.

I don't know if before, during my testing, I always turned on the CD player first, or if it was the PSU causing the problem. But the problem is there now and I'd like to understand it, not jst fix it, I find it rather odd.

Because it's only when I turn it on, if I have the CD player on when I power up the amp, all is good, even if I turn off the CD player and change CDs...

Since these are active speakers, I think if I can't fix the problem what I'll do is just make them turn on when a signal is present, a signal-sensing turn-on switch, then it would always turn on after the CD player... Well, that's a last resort, and then I'd have to figure out how to do that...
Old 9th September 2003, 03:24 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've toyed with it for enough today. I guess I'll give it a rest until tomorrow.

But if anyone has any ideas for what eles I should try, I'm up for it, changing the PSU slightly, adding a resistor on the input before the cap and a whole lot of all around changing things hasn't fixed anything yet.
Old 9th September 2003, 07:22 AM   #19
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Joebob - what caps are you using in the buffer PSU?
Old 9th September 2003, 11:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

1000uF panasonic FC 63V

Hide this!Advertise here!