Yet another LM3886 PCB post! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2011, 08:04 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Single sided will sound just as good if the jumper links are kept to a minimum, and if the ones that you absolutely must use are routed properly. Double sided is just easier to work with when you are getting your boards professionally manufactured.
Old 17th October 2011, 06:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok, I have finished my ss layout.

Critiques welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Layout_1.pdf (58.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 18th October 2011, 09:31 AM   #13
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Decoupling is located too far from the power pins. The HF section of Cs1&2 can be 0.1" or 0.2" pin pitch. The smaller can be located right on top of the power and ground pins. Or even underneath if that suits you and aesthetics.

Although very commonly used as a solution, I do not like distance between the Vdd & Vcc lines. I recommend that the Power Lines and the Power Return be fed in, very close to each other.
The speaker output trace could be doubled or even tripled in width.
Add a bigger pad around Pin1 (Vcc). Is Pin5 also Vcc?

You have not implemented the unmute function. This will never allow the amp to turn on!!!

You have no specific connection for Signal Return/Ground. It is shared with Power Ground and Speaker Return. Isolate the Signal Returns on the PCB and give them a dedicated Signal Ground. Signal Hot and Signal Return connect directly to the input signal hot and cold at the chassis input socket

Rm seems redundant. It is normally there before the DC blocking cap to ensure the PCB input pin is always close to Zero Volts. But you have chosen to omit the DC blocking cap, so Rm should be omitted as well.

Spkr Return on the PCB works for a single channel monoblock amplifier.

When you have more than one channel inside the same chassis, all the Returns should meet at the Main Audio Ground (MAG). This cannot be on one of the amplifier PCBs.

That's all I can see, I hope the list does not get any longer,

Last edited by AndrewT; 18th October 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok,

So I've made some changes, however I have couple of more questions.

Regarding the grounding issue, CHG is the “star” ground that I then take to a central point on the chassis which I was going to use as my MAG.

Quote:
You have no specific connection for Signal Return/Ground. It is shared with Power Ground and Speaker Return. Isolate the Signal Returns on the PCB and give them a dedicated Signal Ground. Signal Hot and Signal Return connect directly to the input signal hot and cold at the chassis input socket
Do you mean that Vcc and Vdd stay as they are, with Speaker, IP and OP ground becoming an Isolated signal ground. Does this then earth via the chassis input?

Many thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Layout_2.pdf (56.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 18th October 2011, 09:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

That looks decent. You could add a corner in the output trace so it doesn't sit so close to the one connecting R3 and Ci.

All grounds must always be connected together, it's the routing that matters. Power ground should have a separate trace from input ground, that's what everyone says, but let me elaborate on it. Chassis ground should always be connected to input ground, right where the input wire connects to the board. If you connect the chassis ground to the ground of the filter caps (common mistake) you will get hum.

On the other hand, you have created a board with planes. You don't need to separate anything because you basically have solid planes of ground and power. I've yet to have a board made like that exhibit any kind of hum. So don't waste anymore time and build it. One thing i would do would be to route that output trace to the left where it meets Rz, to allow more of the ground plane to connect both sides. It's looking good otherwise.

Last edited by Th3 uN1Qu3; 18th October 2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 19th October 2011, 04:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Excellent, I think that I misunderstood the previous post about grounding!

Is the DC blocking cap correct, in series with the input pin. However the signal goes through C3 then R1 to the input pin.

Also 22uF a fair value (According to personal prefence)

Many thanks.
Old 19th October 2011, 07:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I can't follow this layout as easily as your first.

That looks like an electrolytic as the input DC blocking cap.
Use a plastic film type if you can afford the cost. Somewhere from 330nF to 4u7F depending on what Low Bass frequency response you want.

Something seems wrong or omitted in the RF attenuator. But I'm not sure.

The HF decoupling caps (nF between + & G and nF between - & G are too far away from the chipamp power pins.
Old 20th October 2011, 07:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

AndrewT, thanks again for your input.

I am going to put the nf caps on the underside of the pcb, directly on the pins as per your previous post.

Relating to the DC blocking cap, I used the electrolytic as I was drawing from effects pedals, as you advise I will replace with no polarised.

Relating to the RF attenuator, which part is that?

Also would you agree, that as power planes are used, the requiremnt for isolated signal ground is delt with?

Once again, many thanks for all advice!
Old 20th October 2011, 09:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

RF attenuator is a lowpass filter with a high cutoff frequency (some 100s of khz), placed at the input. Basically a small capacitor (some 10s of picofarads) across the input resistor. It isn't needed if you're driving the amp from a low impedance source such as an opamp.

In other words, if you also have an input stage for your amplifier you don't need it. If the amp input is accessible directly to the outside world it is recommended to fit it.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:24 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I believe that every input must have a filter to attenuate what is not supposed to be there.
My home has only one transmitter, my mobile phone.
Many homes have literally a dozen transmitters polluting the airspace.
Keep it out !!!

Hide this!Advertise here!