Got my chipamp, and now ? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You will need some additional components to build monoblocks, such as power sockets, switches, fuse-holders and fuses, thermistors (maybe), transformers, heatsinks and connectors for signal and speaker cables.

If you're not familiar with mains wiring and voltages read the following articles from DIY Audio Articles:

Electrocution
Power Supply for Power Amplifiers
Power Supply Wiring Guidelines
Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques

I would suggest you get two toroid transformers with at least 150VA each, popular brands are Plitron or Avel Lindberg. R-core transformers are probably the best but they are expensive and not widely available. EI-core transformers are fine too.

For enclosures you can search something from Hammond or from modu, the latter being located in Italy near Bologna.

Hi! I do not have an answer to your r-core transformer question, however, many have built with toroid transformers with great results.
Stick to the advice previously in this thread, 150va per channel will work fine, using slightly bigger does not hurt, but please do not go overboard and get huge 500va transformers for your amp. Sure they are beefy, but that kind of power is simply not required.

I believe this information is written in the instructions for your amp.

I am also building a 3886 amp.
In my case, keeping it low cost is essential so I will use a previously used EI transformer and I will make a simple wooden box for my amp.
Quite cheap but can take some time.
And can look pretty nice too if one puts a little effort into it. And no one else will have an amp that looks exactly the same as the one you have built yourself.
Good luck, or "Lycka till" as we say here in Sweden.

Not yet, I am missing some capacitors for the powersupply, the speaker connections and some other small parts. I am also considering a small green led.
The power switch will most likely be on the rear. I will let you know how it turns out.

By the way, which secondary voltage are you thinking of using?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.