Line level to low power speaker amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a discrete amplifier (with or without speakers) that will drive low power speakers (0.5-2W or so) from line level motherboard (pc headphones) output. I cannot use off the shelf customer-ready products like desktop speakers for example.

I need something that does not require alot of assembly/outside circuitry and that is mass produced (preferrably). I found it kinda hard to find it on the internet. If anyone has any info on where I could potentially find one, please help me out.

Thank you very much.

I suspect you would get more replies if we knew where you are located and more details about the project, for example why it can't be off the shelf customer-ready, yet wouldn't require assembly or outside circuitry which is essentially what off the shelf customer ready IS.

Do you basically mean you want the equivalent of the PCB, jacks, pot, and knobs from desktop computer speakers but not the speaker housing? What if you only had to remove the PCB from the speaker housing? Sadly the way goods are produced and sold in volume, sometimes it is less expensive to buy something that costs more to build, simply because the factory was set up to make a product appealing to the masses instead of niche hobbyists or special applications (like finished ready to use computer speakers).

Otherwise, in the USA I would just start by going to ebay, searching for "stereo amp" and sort by price and pick "buy it now" which would show the cheapest items not for auction which would tend to be very low wattage chipamp boards with solder pads or terminals for I/O, to which you supply your own volume pot, power switch, input and output sockets/jacks/etc, power supply, enclosure, etc.

How are you defining "discrete" in this context?

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, roughly speaking I need an equivalent of PCB, jacks, pot, and knobs from desktop computer speakers but not the speaker housing. Actually not even that, I just need to find a suitable PCB/chip (large enough to be assembled/soldered by hands) that needs minimum outside components (like resistors, caps, etc). I can find suitable jacks, speakers and knobs all that. Something close to this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-W-Small-Mo...ultDomain_0&hash=item1e66adf46c#ht_2538wt_905

Except I need it to be mass produced, since I'm working on a project for a small company and after finding a suitable solution, we'll need mass quantities. We're using a small motherboard with an audio output-so I need an amp to drive small (laptop type) speakers.
I'm considering an LM386 (or 368, can't remember) amp, but it still requires addition of a few resistors and capacitors.

Last edited:
The TDA2822M would be a good choice. A pair of LM386 chips would be good too.
You'll need to design the circuitboard (or have someone design it for you).

Please send me an email and I can help with the design, layout and finding a company to produce the PCBs for you.

Correct me if i am wrong . As it sounds to me like you want to build a 1 chip amplifier with no capacitors or resistors?. How many of these little amplifiers do you need

Regards Ian

That's the thing, I'm looking for a ready-to-use amplifier that does not require any external components to be added (ideally). And that I would be able to get it in mass quantities later.
After days of searching, I might have found what I need: Kemo Electronic 3.5W Single Channel Audio Amplifier Module | M031N | Kemo Electronic I just have to see whether I can get these in large quantities.
If anyone knows of other companies/distributors that have this sort of product, please let me know.

The TDA2822M would be a good choice. A pair of LM386 chips would be good too.
You'll need to design the circuitboard (or have someone design it for you).

Please send me an email and I can help with the design, layout and finding a company to produce the PCBs for you.
Thank you Frank, but I'll see where I get with those ready-to-use modules. I'm an electronics engineering student and I would love to customize an amp, but the company wants to just get a ready product.
Thanks again!

P.S. What do you think about the low power audio amp design LM386 has in it's datasheet? It only uses 1 chip; did you have 2 chips in mind because we need 2 channels for stereo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.