wireless input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately my price range is like 30 to 60 bucks since its just gonna be an addition to my an amp instead of the main need. I really kinda wanted to make it myself though to keep it all made by me :). I was thinking it would not be too difficult to make a radio transmitter and reciever though...

Well I did not exactly ask for easy. I am well aware that it will require research, time, and work. I am OK with that :). I just need a pointer in the right direction. Maybe more details will help direct what I need. I need something with a high bandwidth, low noise signal. It does not need to transmit more than about 20 feet. It need only work on 1 frequency. Preferably a frequency that other devices in my area are unlikely to use :). If it would transmit with a 9V DC power that would be awesome, but other low voltage plans would suffice. The receiver can be any voltage, as I will just wire it in with my amp and use a voltage regulator accordingly.

High bandwidth, low noise TX/RX system has a much larger learning curve, development time, and ultimately it may not be as durable as you wish for untethered guitar use.

I suggest something like the following but I have never tried one personally. Audio-Technica VHF wireless guitar system. Although I don't see it spec'd on the page, their other similar, general purpose VHF sytems use a 9V battery so this is likely to as well.

Audio-Technica ATW-251/G-T2 VHF Wireless Guitar System

I'd think the easy way to deal with this would be to bust open and repackage an FM transmitter such as are sold for <$10 on dealextreme.com for use for playing an MP3 player over the car FM radio, and similarly use a cheap FM receiver at the other end. If the range is inadequate you may be able to improve things with a better antenna with a bit more gain, or get a bit more range by increasing the output power or rx sensitivity using a MMIC (monolithic broadband radio gain block).

If you want to do the whole thing there are a number of single-chip tx and rx solutions, you'd probably have to use a PIC or other micro to set up the required frequencies, I'd look at Silicon Labs (silabs.com) offerings for wheel-tuned radios for a starting point, although there are doubtless other manufacturers, I'm not as in-touch with this stuff as I used to be. The silabs chips might have a digital output and require a DAC but just google 'single chip fm transmitter' and 'single chip fm receiver'. Although there are some complications these things get easier and easier (and cheaper) to build all the time. You might even get the chips as samples.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.