My_Ref Fremen Edition - need help on PCB evaluation - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2011, 02:50 PM   #101
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

What is of more importance to you?
That it is all on one PCB making it easy to assemble and package with virtually no wiring.
or
That it appeals to many other Members.

I doubt the two are compatible.
Old 27th November 2011, 02:57 PM   #102
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
What is of more importance to you?
That it is all on one PCB making it easy to assemble and package with virtually no wiring.
or
That it appeals to many other Members.

I doubt the two are compatible.
I do agree Andrew, the two alternatives are hardly compatible...

But if I must separate the PCB I think it's better to dump the DC protection that it's easier to replace with kits available from eBay or with a custom designed PCB that can accomodate DC protection for both channels rather than spread the virtual ground between two boards...
Old 27th November 2011, 05:43 PM   #103
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Didn't you already get all of it on there? I though it was just a matter of shifting things around. Seems to be a three partition board, power supply, small signal and high power with protection. Hmm I have not used Eagle PCB, maybe I should give it a try.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:51 PM   #104
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
Didn't you already get all of it on there? I though it was just a matter of shifting things around. Seems to be a three partition board, power supply, small signal and high power with protection. Hmm I have not used Eagle PCB, maybe I should give it a try.
I've tried all day, even changing the orientation of the whole board... to have both the DC protection and LM318 PS on sides of the bridges and smoothing caps a slightly bigger PCB is needed (the DC protection takes 1.5*4.0-5.0 cm).

The only way I found so far is the full PCB (0.9.8).

BTW I'm confident this complete configuration would fare well, the 'U' shaped radiating area could be a false problem...

In fact in the little 'U''s branch under half of the LM3886 no important currents should flows.

The LM3886 GND pin is only a reference ground for the mute circuit...

Give a look at the attached zoom picture and help me determining if important currents radiates.

Would that currents be lower if the ground plane under the LM3886 is removed?
Attached Images
File Type: png my.png (146.2 KB, 319 views)
Old 29th November 2011, 12:47 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

I think most current are going to come from the V+ V- lines through the output 0.47 ohm resistor to the speakers. The OUT line being so close to the LM318 probably is not the best. So what I think is that, on your schematic, anything that is left of the limiter zener should be as far away from the high current section because the LM318 gain is high. All components feeding the inputs should be furthest away. It seems that if the LM3886, c1, c2, c4, 0R47, OUT terminal are moved a bit to the side, they can be further away from the LM318 loop (are those surface mount resistors or limiter diodes beside the OUT trace?)
Old 29th November 2011, 01:19 AM   #106
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

nFirst of all thanks a lot.

Quote:
I think most current are going to come from the V+ V- lines through the output 0.47 ohm resistor to the speakers.
I do Agree.

Quote:
The OUT line being so close to the LM318 probably is not the best. So what I think is that, on your schematic, anything that is left of the limiter zener should be as far away from the high current section because the LM318 gain is high.
I'll check if it's possible.

I could rotate R3 at the expense of a much longer feedback but distance wouldn't change much.

And/or I can reduce C4 size back to 7.5mm lead spacing gaining 3mm to move R3 toward LM3886.

The original TP layout (excerpt attached) it's not much different in this regard but, obviously, one of my goals is to design a better PCB.

Quote:
All components feeding the inputs should be furthest away.
Aren't they?

Quote:
It seems that if the LM3886, c1, c2, c4, 0R47, OUT terminal are moved a bit to the side, they can be further away from the LM318 loop
I thought about it.

It could be possible reducing C1, C2 size back to 10mm diameter gaining 0,5 cm.

But it's worth it?

Quote:
(are those surface mount resistors or limiter diodes beside the OUT trace?)
If you refer to the two ones near the 10pF caps those are MELF resistors.

PS

Rereading the post I see now that some minor component moving is possible... stay tuned... thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP RevC.jpg (94.1 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 29th November 2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:53 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Got out my magnifying glass, D1, D2, and the zener are too close to the OUT. If the component/trace runs perpendicular to the high current trace, then it is less effected. Also, field strength reduces by the square with distance.

You can decide where to put you name after the layout is complete.

Last edited by soongsc; 29th November 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 29th November 2011, 03:02 PM   #108
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Got out my magnifying glass, D1, D2, and the zener are too close to the OUT. If the component/trace runs perpendicular to the high current trace, then it is less effected. Also, field strength reduces by the square with distance.
Ok

Quote:
You can decide where to put you name after the layout is complete.
You can trust me or not but the presence of credits on PCB from the start was a precise request by Mauro...
Old 30th November 2011, 01:06 AM   #109
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Rereading the post I see now that some minor component moving is possible... stay tuned... thanks again!
Is it any better?

Take in account that unless Vpp on limiter is higher than 28V that circuit should behave like an open circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Option1.png (108.2 KB, 257 views)
Old 30th November 2011, 02:22 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Is it any better?

Take in account that unless Vpp on limiter is higher than 28V that circuit should behave like an open circuit.
Even though that might be true, but even a hanging open circuit with only one end connected could effect the sound. That is why the "ground side electrons" thing works. It seems you could still move the limiter to the right.

I wonder if it's a good idea to have the resistor heat sink against the cap, and also it seems that the real heat sink would interfere with the OUT connector because the relation between the legs and the heat sink is different. What might be a way to solve it is rotate the resistor clockwise by 90 deg and rotate the heat sink counterclockwise 90deg and correct the relation between heat sink and resistor leg. This will give you more room around the OUT connector.

Hide this!Advertise here!