X-530 amp mod, harsh sound in mids - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2011, 05:51 PM   #1
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default X-530 amp mod, harsh sound in mids

I'm not sure if this is the correct category to post this.

I decided to do a poor man's mod to improve the sound of my logitech X-530 a little. I disassembled the subwoofer and this is where I did the mods. I did the following things:

-I changed the junk 6800uf power decoupling cap with 3x panasonic FCs 2200uF
-I changed the front channel opamp with LM4562
-I changed the electrolytic coupling caps of the front channels and bypassed them with big film caps
-I also bypassed the power cap with a film one.

This is everything. A thing you won't like, I soldered a thru hole LM4562 to a SOIC place, I did it with small 1cm wires, which is not the best solution.

I get a very much different sound, after the burn in especially. Everything sounds better, but I have a problem. There's a section of the mids that is very harsh, I'm talking about the guitar solos and the violins. There's an unpleasant, harsh sound, I really can't describe it. Everything else sounds great.

The ugly sounding appears on rock and heavy metal songs, but not on eurodance.

Can you help me with this? Could it be the opamp itself? I bought it from eBay, maybe it is faulty?
Old 16th September 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i think the FC could be your problem. it's known to be a harsh sounding cap in any application.
Old 18th September 2011, 04:34 PM   #3
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Except the FC, I suspect values of components the opamp doesn't like, in the input or output. Is it possible?
Old 18th September 2011, 04:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
If you post up a schematic and layout you might get more practical suggestions. My suspicions would rest with your new opamp not liking its power supply/decoupling/input RF interference. I have found LM4562 to be quite picky about those aspects - without proper attention to them, an NE5532 is easier to get a decent sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!