My_Ref RevO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used these with relatively good results, but have not compared them with the linear powers. Generally two in parallel drives one channel quite well, but work is still being done on line power filters which do effect sound quality.
?????? » AD6-11242411A » A6-11242411A » ????? DC24V 1.1A x2 ???????

Thanks Soongsc but they're too big to fit the PCB and being switching PS from mains they probably break the virtual ground the MyRef is based on.

I'm investigating a simple PS based on a filtered zener followed by an emitter-follower or a capacitance multiplier but I can't find a reliable source for calculating the values...

Makes sense, thanks.

;)

Last edited:
"This little gem amazes me every day..."

Ditto..... yesterday I integrated a MBox 2 from Digidesign (the makers of Pro Tools and the go to hardware for top end studios) from another system. I fed it with just the audio out (no SPDIF) from a laptop and the results were fantastic. This amp seems to make everything it touches sound better. Or more correctly - allows its source to flow through unencumbered :D.

Last edited:
Dario
I have an idea for a circuit that will check the voltage on both rails against a preset voltage and it wont allow power to run to the amp until both rails are above the preset voltage. There are no relays.
If you have room, its not small, I could draw the schematic.
Basically we use a lot of LEDs. Once the string of LEDs lights up then an optomos lets power go to the second string of LEDs on the second rail and we wait for them to light up. When both strings are lit then a second optomos is triggered which fires up a BC546A which in turn fires up two more very high current optomos which are in series with the rails, allowing power to flow to the amp.
It sounds kind of complicated and it does use a lot of parts but its foolproof unless someone puts a part in backwards. It will beat the relay solution but it does not check for DC on the output, only that both rails are above the voltage dropped by the LED string.
Interested?
Also, would you be interested in using an LDR as the input resistor? You could not use them in the feedback as the voltage output of the amp is to high for LDRs but using them as input resistor at least gives you a small advantage over using normal film resistors. This could be done with, for stereo, 7 parts total. I think it would give your design a nice advantage, but there is a sizeable addition of parts. The LDRs dont need to be matched so total addition to a BOM would be around 6.38USD for all 7 parts. If your board is allowed to get bigger...
Uriah

Last edited:
There are much more complexity using an off board design that generally requires more components and lots of analysis to get similar performance. So, unless there is something that forces off board design, then going with a properly laid out single board design is generally better.

I have an idea for a circuit that will check the voltage on both rails against a preset voltage and it wont allow power to run to the amp until both rails are above the preset voltage. There are no relays.
If you have room, its not small, I could draw the schematic.
It will beat the relay solution but it does not check for DC on the output, only that both rails are above the voltage dropped by the LED string.
Interested?

Hi Uriah,

unfortunately the space is so tight... and I really think the DC protection is a must.

Also, would you be interested in using an LDR as the input resistor? You could not use them in the feedback as the voltage output of the amp is to high for LDRs but using them as input resistor at least gives you a small advantage over using normal film resistors.
If your board is allowed to get bigger...

I don't get it... why use a LDR as input resistor?

Anyway I'm using Eagle light edition so the PCB can't grow in size... :(

I have wondered if you are totally committed to a single board design. Would a separate PS board ala the BrianGT approach be a possibility?

Yes, it could be a possibility but cables to connect the two PCBs would introduce unwanted parasitics and give impedance problems to the virtual ground.

Mauro already answered to this question with similar arguments...

Thread should close

This thread is going to be replaced by a new one I'll open later since the amp is going to change name.

I've contacted Mauro Penasa, the designer, which has kindly authorized me to proceed and requested to change amp's name to something not related to MyRef revisions. :)

This is a MyRef based amp and not an official revision of it.

Mauro pointed out also some glitches that must be fixed and I'll work on it in the next days.

See you all on the new thread.

I would ask moderators if it's possible to lock this thread.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.