LM386N-4 Not up to expectations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! I used an LM386N-4 to build a small amp for my guitar. I used the typical application in the datasheet and an 8-Ohm 1 Watt speaker. When I play a note lightly the sound goes through. However, when I strum a chord or pluck loudly, the sound cuts out and wont come back until I stop all ringing notes. What is causing this?

Thannks!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the sound cuts out completely and doesn't with a different speaker then it's just possible the speaker is faulty. It's not that uncommon for the voice coil to go intermitent open circuit when driven (it's a common fault scenario on old TV's).

The gain (200) shouldn't have anything do with it as long as you are not driving the amp into clipping... and any small speaker should work.

N-4 version

I'm building a project at the moment and was studying the LM386's any way. The N-4 version of LM386 is designed to operate up to about 16 volts BUT not every one mentions that proper load is 32 ohms for the LM386 N-4! The chip's overcurrent protection is probably kicking in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.