TDA8947J output power@12 volt supply - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2011, 05:51 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

To Andrew T & Johnr66
if it is so then why people are interested in so powerful car ams(called as 1000watts)?
I india i have seen many local made car stereos(inside is sanyo old la4440) and for my ears it gives very powerful sound.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:55 AM   #12
johnr66 is offline johnr66  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhir kumar View Post
To Andrew T & Johnr66
if it is so then why people are interested in so powerful car ams(called as 1000watts)?
I india i have seen many local made car stereos(inside is sanyo old la4440) and for my ears it gives very powerful sound.
More watts is more SPL. 1000 watts is ~18db more than 15 watts. Of course it's likely the amp can't produce anything near 1000 watts, but is probably more powerful than a 15 watt BTL chip.

17 years ago, I built a 2 channel amp with a couple BTL chips to drive a DVC 12" driver in a ported box. Clean power would have been about 27 watts. It was plenty adequate for the job.
Old 7th September 2011, 05:25 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
why people are interested in so powerful car ams(called as 1000watts)?
Depends on the people. Some want so much power, because they believe the salespeople that tell them it's the way to go.

Others want 1000 Watts to impress their friends, without the slightest idea what the difference is between a 10 W amp and a 100 W other than the figure. Those are the usual victims that buy 2x17 Wrms amps for 20 Euros and believe the 2x1000 W PMPO print on the case is a proof of superior quality.

A few people that compete in sound-offs, need that much power to achieve 130dB+ of clean output from 20 Hz to 20 kHz to be able to win SPL competitions.

From a technical point of view you "need" that much power to drive extreme-long-throw woofers with 150 g or more of moving mass, built into too small enclosures, and playing music with significant content below 50 Hz at ear-shattering level. You may also need that amount of power, if you are a fan of big church organs and wish to listen to their lowest notes at live levels in your home.

90 % of all listeners will find that somewhere between 10 and 50 W they have all the power they ever need for home audio. A few difficult speakers may ask for more, but then it is worth considering different speakers rather than more powerful amps.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have read in the foroum that TDA1554 is better than old LA4440 but both datasheet tell that @10%THD.If the THD figure is same why one chip is better than other?
Old 29th September 2011, 12:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have read in the foroum that TDA1554 is better than old LA4440 but both datasheet tell that @10%THD.If the THD figure is same why one chip is better than other?
The TDA1554 is a newer IC with much less support components needed. Ignore the stupid 10% figure. That is well into clipping. These chips will do in the 12 to 15 watt range of clean power before clipping with a 14.5 volt supply. Check the THD vs frequency and THD vs power graphs if provided.
Old 30th September 2011, 05:16 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr66 View Post
The TDA1554 is a newer IC with much less support components needed. Ignore the stupid 10% figure. That is well into clipping. These chips will do in the 12 to 15 watt range of clean power before clipping with a 14.5 volt supply. Check the THD vs frequency and THD vs power graphs if provided.
Thanks for reply,
but some more questions
If i have two chip amps (suppose one based on TDA8947) and another (basesed on tda1554) , if i supply them with equal voltages(14.5) and put equal load(4 ohm).will there be a difference in output power ?I think my english is not good but perhaps you are getting my point.
thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for reply,
but some more questions
If i have two chip amps (suppose one based on TDA8947) and another (basesed on tda1554) , if i supply them with equal voltages(14.5) and put equal load(4 ohm).will there be a difference in output power ?I think my english is not good but perhaps you are getting my point.
thanks in advance.
Your English seems fine to me. With the same Vs and load, the output power will be the same. In a practical test, there may be slight differences as chips can vary from lot to lot, but the difference would likely be within a watt. Since it takes 2x the power to make a perceptible change in sound (3db), you could never tell the difference.
Old 3rd October 2011, 05:55 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

to johnr66,
Thank you very much for reply.It was a practical problem for me but now solved.Actually i have a ready built tda8947 kit and i wanted to use it as a car-amp but not sure about its o/p at car battery voltage so i decided to make a tda1554q.since you told that both will give approx same o/p with above conditions so i am going to use the same tda8947 kit in the car.
thank again for reply.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Can someone send me a diagram on a btl design for tda8947?

Hide this!Advertise here!