GC and low sensitivity speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have speakers with a sensitivity of 87db. Impedance is said to be 8 ohms but it falls to 4 ohms in some frequencies.

will a GC work well with these speakers or it would be desirable to build a bridged version?

I have a GC right now that sounds good but I would like to have some opinions before trying a bridged version, with only 2 chips per channel.

And please dont tell me to buy new speakers :)$$$

Miguel

If you want to play "disco" one Gainclone isn't much. You will not have so much "headroom" but I have no idea how loud you usually have.

My little VU-meter goes from 0.001-100 watts with 3 dB resolution and with my Martin Logan speakers I have disco at 10 watts in average, 100 W peak. Normal active level is around 1 W, peak 10W!

miguel2 said:
peranders, your are NOT playing the Martin Logans with a GC, are you??!!!

Miguel
No but I would really like to test it. I'm using my QRO Mosfet amp, similar to Crescendo but I have added some extra features.

I have got samples of LM3866TF and will maybe design a Gainclone.

headroom = how much power you have more than you already are using. It's good to have 5-10 dB more power so you can avoid clipping.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.