Small interest in Gainclones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't think why, but these Gainclones seem to be catching on judging by the AtomZ search statistics for Decibel Dungeon this week. ;)

There were 88 searches for the week ending 08/23/03 for Decibel Dungeon at http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk.

Here are the top phrases searched:

- 65 for "gain clones"
- 6 for "cd723"
- 2 for "[ blank query ]"*
- 2 for "build a stepped attenuators"
- 2 for "turntable belts"
- 2 for "turntables"
- 1 for "aiwa cx80"
- 1 for "alcohol for cleaning"
- 1 for "cambridge audio dacmagic"
- 1 for "coby"

The 65 doesn't mean big interest at all, does it?

65 out of 88! = 75%!

Also, since I put the Gainclone pages on DD, the daily average for hits has gone from around 30 to nearly 70!

I would go so far to say that there has probably never been so much interest in a single aspect of DIY hi-fi ever. :bigeyes:

Of course, we could all be suffering from mass delusion. Any psychology students out there looking for an assignment? ;)

It certainly has my interest;)

This concept enables beginners to build a simple amp and have good (maybe even very good) results too.

As a starter I would not like to encounter building an Aleph X or so for time and money reasons but building a good gainclone seems very achievable.

Nuuk,
I noticed that your attenuator is in a separate box. That means that you have reasonable length of wire in your input circuit. Did this create issues regarding sound detoriation? I understood that the input circuit should be as short as possible as wel.

Reason for asking is that if I could use a stepped attenuator at the front side of my enclosure (so withouth a long shaft to the back) I would be able to use a smaller enclosure. Maybe shielded cable (good shielded microphone cable) from the RCA input to the attenuator and back to the chip would help

My friend and I are both building a 50wpc inverted gainclone each and we've visited just about all the GC sites (including yours) plenty of times. The thing is, we forgot the web addresses so we just use search engines and links to go to the sites.

We havn't posted, but we do have most of the parts we need expect for the transformers. So I guess I'll be posting about our GCs in about a couple days when they arrive.

Thanks for the Website, it's been helpful.

It's kind of hard to bookmark when I'm not on my own computer. :)

Lets see... Right now I'm on my Grandma's cpu. During the daytime i'm on various College computers in the lab. Either that I'll be on a computer at a friends house because he has broadband and we hang out in his home theater room. (Which has like 4 cpus hooked on an ethernet router)

At home I have MSN dialup, but I guess I can still bookmark. Man I need a faster connection than 28.8k.

Hey, enough of my excuses, why don't I just print out every page I can find and put them in a 3 ring binder to carry around. I can do that for a lot of projects and start a physical library. :)

a suggestion for all O/T

I have discovered that these little USB storage fob thingys are wonderful. I bought a 128 MB one for $40. (Geezer alert - I remember paying more than 1K for a hard drive smaller than this)A lot of the newer computers have a USB port right on the front - and so far I have not found a relativly recent machine that I cannot get to work - Windows, Mac or *nix. On Win2K or newer, just plug in and the machine sees it as a drive - and you can store a favorite file there. Best use? I store all of the zillion stupid passwords that I have in a file on the drive. It allows you to create strong passwords that otherwise you might forget. The key fob can be encrypted, plus it has the physical security bonus.

Neatest little gadgets - hell, I saw one last week that even has a built in MP3 player for about $15 more. For a 256 drive with this player is was only $65.

Highly suggested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.