Class A Buffer Op amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need a buffer amplifier that can drive a least 2 sources, Power amp and Subwoofer amp, I have a few options one is using tubes and the other using solid state discrete/op amp.

I am asking those who have some experience in using Class A the solid state op amp, namely:

BUF634
LME49600

I remember using an old LT series unity gain op amp. I cannot remember the number. Would any recommend the above op amp and why?

Thanks.

most audio power amplifiers will have very high input impedance, dominated by any volume pot at the input - 50K is a common value

A output stage is Class A for a range of loads, output V for a given bias condition

to drive 2 parallel 50 K loads to 2 Vrms requires ~110 uA - many "audio" op amps will do that without external bias or buffers

for somewhat higher I requirement op amp ouputs may be biased into SE Class A by pulling on the output with a ccs or resistor to a PS rail

there are reasons engineers use numbers, if you want to drive 50' of typical cable C in Class A with audio signals then you may want a few mA of bias - still easily within monolithic op amp capability with just a single bias R to a power supply

if you wwere bulding a professional distribution amp for a large studio or stage you might need 10's of mA and separate buffers become more attractive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.