can they do this ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The zoe_tsang PCB seems sufficiently different from the shine7 PCB that it cannot simply be called Copy-&-Paste. And the pin layout does not allow that many extremely different PCB layouts.

And, yes, they can do this, if whoever of them made the first design did not invest money in copyright protection. It is also highly questionable if a PCB layout for a datasheet application of a chipamp is worthy of copyright protection at all.

Given that you can produce many different but equivalent PCB layouts, any one of them could be regarded as a substantial work and so protected by copyright. Copyright in the circuit may rest with the chip maker, and they probably assume that their customers will more or less copy their circuits. I think (I may be wrong) that copyright cannot be used to protect something which can only be expressed in one way, so there is no creativity in it. The creativity does not have to be very profound, merely present in some form.

I suppose one way to look at it is: if copying it would save me work, then it must involve creativity to produce it, and therefore I am infringing copyright if I copy it without permission. If it is worth copying, then it is protected!

I would venture a no. My understanding is that the circuit is protected, but peripheral things like the PCB and BOM are not. In this case, being from the datasheet the circuit is most likely PD. I may be in error. I'm more certain that a visual rendering, whether executed with paint and canvas or photographic film, is certainly protected.

That's technically unlawful here as well. The burning-CDs-to-hard-drive deal that I do is also unlawful. The RIAA bought and sold one of our political parties, so our laws with respect to digital media are astonishingly comprehensive and harsh.

For the cases where I know the performers, I usually ask permission, and the usual reaction is a look of disbelief that I'd even bother to ask.

Copyright applies to the picture if the owner does not grant permission to use it. The amp boards themselves differ enough that it's not a 1:1 copy, too much prior art and similarities exist with amp boards to say something roughly the same is an infringement.

BOM, it's not copyrighted unless reproduced exactly in writing layout, parts brands, etc. and presented as a BOM, not just a board built with the same component values in someone else's BOM. General circuits from chip manufacturer datasheets and other datasheet info is definitely not copyrighted, manufacturer expressly gives this info to use their chip (product) for making a for-sale product that implements that chip.

Now having written that, if you have an especially unique functionality from your circuit you can PATENT that subcircuit in the amp, but whether that patent holds up in court is another story when talking about sonic differences or electrical function if other parts of the amp (product) as a whole differs and considering that these basic circuits used have been around for decades, again there's the issue of so much prior art existing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.