Desktop cMoy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys! I am wondering if anyone could help me in making a layout of a cMoy thats not so incredibly small, as the one on the Tangentsoft site. I have tried, but can't for the love of my life manage to solder this tiny...I have all the components,even got som Black Gates, but this small stuff is killing me...I would even order some pcb's if anyone had the prints for this, but I would also like to do this P2P, only not so f'ing small :)

Please,help me out here :)

Wow. You think the one on Tangent's site is small? I hate to say it. You can stretch out the distances all you like. However, the part size is going to be the same. What are you using for an iron? Don't be afraid to take a file to a cheap pencil iron to get a nice sharp tip. Not the best idea to do this to nice soldering station tips. I'll do what I have to to make a cheapo pencil iron work.

Either way, You best bet is to just keep practicing. It doesn't really get much bigger than protoboard.

Wow. You think the one on Tangent's site is small? I hate to say it. You can stretch out the distances all you like. However, the part size is going to be the same. What are you using for an iron? Don't be afraid to take a file to a cheap pencil iron to get a nice sharp tip. Not the best idea to do this to nice soldering station tips. I'll do what I have to to make a cheapo pencil iron work.

Either way, You best bet is to just keep practicing. It doesn't really get much bigger than protoboard.

Thanks. Yeah,I was wondering about streching it out..But,I have about 3 more attempts worth of protoboard in my parts bin,so i'll keep going :)

For someone without good soldering skills and equipment, the protoboards like Tangent shows are harder to solder than most things. It could be as easy to just wrap solid core wire from each component lead and solder that up, or use the leads on the components to go part to part instead of cutting them off short.

I don't know if it's the problem or not, but where many people go wrong soldering is trying to melt the wire with the iron instead of using the iron to heat the copper and pushing the solder in the joint between the hot copper and the component lead.

For someone without good soldering skills and equipment, the protoboards like Tangent shows are harder to solder than most things. It could be as easy to just wrap solid core wire from each component lead and solder that up, or use the leads on the components to go part to part instead of cutting them off short.

I don't know if it's the problem or not, but where many people go wrong soldering is trying to melt the wire with the iron instead of using the iron to heat the copper and pushing the solder in the joint between the hot copper and the component lead.

If I had learned to understand a schematic proper, I would do either that, or get a bigger protoboard, but I am trying to learn... I beleive mye soldering skills are ok, not great but not horrible either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.